froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Rumor has it that Chinese device maker LeEco will launch a new phone in August featuring 8GB of RAM, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor, and other top-tier specs.

Read More

I think 8GB of RAM is a nice amount of RAM for a smartphone. But, I feel soon smartphone users will want phones with 12-16 GB of RAM because a lot of mobile apps, and games are now using a lot of RAM.

That would be really nice.

I'd be pretty happy with even six gigs! I currently have three gigabytes and I rarely run out of ram, except for Google Play Services. With Google Play Services using more and more resources, it would be so nice to have eight, especially with all of the memory I use for the OS, Google Keyboard, and the system UI. I feel like this would make a lot of mobile games a lot more viable for playing, well, mobily.

Well, this is good news only for Android users. iOS runs flawlessly even on 2 GB of RAM.

Latest iOS on my iPhone 5 (1GB) and the only function that has any noticeable slow down is the Siri menu when swiping half-down downwards. Nothing that I personally need at all.

But I think that there is never too much memory, as while the OS itself can utilize very little, it's the apps that could really use the memory. Now the obvious problem here with Android is that even if one phone would have 64GB's of RAM, no developer could really make use of it when the majority of the devices would have 1-2GB's, and that's what they'd have to keep in mind.

I'd be pretty happy with even six gigs! I currently have three gigabytes and I rarely run out of ram, except for Google Play Services. With Google Play Services using more and more resources, it would be so nice to have eight, especially with all of the memory I use for the OS, Google Keyboard, and the system UI. I feel like this would make a lot of mobile games a lot more viable for playing, well, mobily.

I agree Google Play Services does seem to use a lot of RAM sometimes. Google Chrome also sometimes uses a lot of RAM.

I switch to a different keyboard, and homescreen launcher app which seems to make Android run better.

I agree Google Play Services does seem to use a lot of RAM sometimes. Google Chrome also sometimes uses a lot of RAM.

I switch to a different keyboard, and homescreen launcher app which seems to make Android run better.
Yes! I use Apex Launcher which I've been really happy with since I got it. I was really surprised that it ran better than stock at times, even on my Nexus 6. As much ram as Google Keyboard uses up, I do like it a lot. They recently added some cool features like a one-handed mode which is great for texting while one hand is full. Thought I'd never use it until I had two hand's worth of groceries in one hand trying to text my girlfriend that I forgot my key.

That would be nice if it doesn't interfere with anything else on the phone. I know some with you much stuff tend to hurt other things the phone.

If some apps won't be too memory-intensive, this would be perfect. If, however, apps are coded to be clunky down the line, then we will need smartphones with 32 GB! Android tends to be a very RAM-hungry OS. Even its basic apps and components eat a ton of memory. I am aware there are ways to control the RAM usage, but that's not common knowledge, and why deal with all that when the device is capable of offering a seamless user experience?

Hopefully the more RAM don't mean extra heat.

I think your storage drive's Virtual RAM also called the SWAP/Page file or partition would not work as hard when there is more RAM, so your storage chip may be cooler on your phone because your phone has enough RAM where your phone does not to use the Swap file or partition as much.

If the RAM's speed is not set too high, the RAM may not run very hot. I think the RAM on mobile devices slow itself down to save battery life, and when the RAM gets too hot.

Back