So, what's your opinion of the 3DS' gyroscope/motion controls?

What do you think of the 3DS gyroscope?

• It's a great new feature that improves a lot of games

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • It would be a good feature, if it worked properly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's okay when kept as an option/for optional things

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • It's terrible and doesn't really work at all

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • The idea of motion controls + a handheld system is just plain bad to begin with

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
I have to say, I've never particularly liked this aspect of the console, since it seems really bad at actually detecting the console's movements (I've had cases where I literally tilted it about 180 degrees and it did absolutely nothing, after responding for about a couple of hours). Add how Nintendo seems to LOVE putting this tech inside their games despite it not really improving most of them (Luigi's Mansion 2, Ocarina of Time 3D, Mario 3D Land, Mario & Luigi Dream Team), and it's kind of annoyance to be honest, especially as every motion based feature in those games could and probably should have been done with the control pad.

In fact, I have to say I'm not sure the gyroscope concept is really that good of one to be honest. I mean, motion controls are nice, but they work much better when the thing you have to tilt/move ISN'T the same thing you're viewing the game on.

So what do you think of the 3DS gyroscope/motion controls? Love it or hate it?

I hate it so much. Especially on Luigi's Mansion 2. It might be okay for MK7 or maybe any other racing game.
I really would hate it if they applied gyroscope/motion control to the new Super Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U.That's something I really hope they do NOT do!

I really like the gyroscope! It helped me alot during Ocarina of Time during the archery mini game as I fail at aiming when trying to use the manual controls >.< Though you're right, it doesn't really work in Luigi's Mansion 2 for example, though I do still use it at times whilst playing that too :grin:

As long as they keep it optional like in OoT 3D, I'm fine with it.

Kinda hard to use and a little awkward to use when out and about (seeing as it IS a handheld) and when using it in public, people end up thinking you are taking pictures. As long as it's an optional feature that you can enable /disable in games, i have no problem with it. It's when its forced on you and makes up a good portion of the game that it frustrates me.

If people want the option, that's fine. I don't use them personally. I've never liked any kind of motion/gimmicky controls. I much prefer a traditional controller or keyboard and mouse.

Back