froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
If you use a lower-tier wireless keyboard, you may be at risk for an attack called KeySniffer that's able to nab a good deal of personal information from you.

According to cybersecurity company Bastille, KeySniffer is a huge vulnerability that affects several brands and models of wireless keyboards, including HP, Toshiba, Kensington, Insignia, Radio Shack, General Electric and more. KeySniffer allows third parties to remotely access the keystrokes from users from up to 250 feet away. The data is transmitted via clear text and can offer up passwords, credit card numbers and other types of sensitive data.

Read More

I wonder would there be more buyers who buy Wired USB keyboard now to stop hackers from wirelessly hacking keyboard signal to see a victim's typed text on a keyboard in clear text when typed from a wireless keyboard.

Last edited:
One of the ways around this, that some people often use and have done for a while is to use the on-screen keyboard with the random letter movement turned on when it comes to inputting sensitive information. As far as this keyboard issue, it's been known for quite a while now.. I haven't really heard anything about a huge drop in wireless keyboard and mouse sales though.

I think most people just use the wired USB keyboard which came with their desktop PC, and buy USB wired keybards because they are cheaper, and easier to setup.

I bet, people who want a more secure wireless keyboard would buy a wireless keyboard with an encrypted wireless signal. The sales of wireless keyboards with an encrypted signal would increase.

According to the full article on Engadget, Kensington has already made efforts to patch the vulnerability, adding AES Encryption to its wireless keyboards' broadcast, and using a Bluetooth keyboard is more secure because it has encryption.

This is why I only use corded keyboards.

I don't trust wireless keyboards all that much and I am aware of keysniffer too. That is why it's better to have high security and anti malware in our computers. You can't trust anything anymore.

I also don't trust wireless keyboards as well.

I think there are encryption programs which encrypt your keyboard keystrokes, so if people record your keyboard button presses, they only get a bunch of random numbers, letters, and characters which they need to decrypt with an encryption key to figure out what is type.

It is too bad that it is not as easy to increase the security of the wireless keyboard like how people can more easily improve their Wi-Fi security by changing their wifi password to a longer complicated password, using a newer router, and wifi adapter which supports 802.11AC wifi, and WPA2 wifi security.

that's crazy.

I agree it is crazy.

Using an on-screen keyboard software made for disabled people who are missing fingers or can't move their hand can be a good idea to type in a username and password on a desktop PC.

It probably be very difficult for a smartphone malware to use a smarphone microphone, accelerometor, and vibration sensors to figure out what button you pressing when you are using your mouse or a joystick controller to type on an onscreen keyboard software.

NSA got billions of funds guys. :p

The NSA may have trillions in funds. The NSA can ask the US government can to secretly print more money if the NSA ever run low on money, or the government can arrest criminals who cheated on their taxes and earned money illegally like by robbing a bank, and take their money to fund the NSA.

The NSA may have trillions in funds. The NSA can ask the US government can to secretly print more money if the NSA ever run low on money, or the government can arrest criminals who cheated on their taxes and earned money illegally like by robbing a bank, and take their money to fund the NSA.

Do you think NSA is on forums like GL?

Do you think NSA is on forums like GL?

There is a possibility that the NSA has employees who go on forums like GL since a lot of people spend a lot talking on forums, and sometimes post anti-government posts on the general discussion, and politics section. More people maybe going back to forums, and blogs now that social networks may have the NSA, and law enforcement searching social networks for criminals and people who are anti-government. The NSA may follow these people to forums if the NSA learn that anti-government users are now on forums more often.

Back