Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Sony never considered making the PlayStation 4 require an always-on internet connection.
In an interview with Game Informer (via Gamespot), Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida has revealed that it was never thought of as real option.

“Did we consider it? No, we didn’t consider it," said Yoshida.​
 ​
And it seems common sense and practicality won the day. "The main reason being that many countries don’t have robust Internet connections. It makes sense for people to have internet connections to play online games, but for offline games there are many countries that we saw do not really have robust Internet.”
source

Playstation for life!

They didn't consider it because they knew another stupid move would kill them. :p

Hopefully. The Xbox still hasn't had an official confirmation. Rumors keep going back an forth about it.

I'm thinking that either they both will do it or none. There's no way one company would risk it all.

I must admit that I did switch fom the sony side after Playstation 2, mostly because of the huge price tag of PS3 and the Xbox 360 hitting first, and being a big Halo fan. :grin:

But I feel I may go back to being a Sony guy with PS4.

even though I have a pretty decent Internet connection I just do not like the idea of "always online gaming" that they are pushing.

This just seems like a bad move from Microsoft and its a shame they can not see it, Sony pointed out the obvious with the fact that not everyone has the internet, and even those that do may not have that good a connection to constantly play off of a internet connection.

Some even have caps on their internet usage.

This was a bad move by Microsoft, and judging by the fan outcry around the web, they are going to feel it when they finally release it to compete with the PS4.

I read a recent post the Next Xbox won't require a constant connection.

I think Valve's Steambox would be one of the most popular gaming devices since people can play the games they already bought on Steam for PC on a Steambox, and the cheaper game prices and free to play games on Steam are cheaper than 60-70 dollars games. Steam games can be played offline as well.

I agree its all rumors. We won't know which consoles would be online-only until we all get to read reviews from actual buyers on the internet and offline reviews from ourselves, friends and family.

I can see Sony, Microsoft, and individual Game publishers like EA's Simcity, and Ubisoft Assasins Creed's : Brotherhood pushing out online-only updates after a few months or years of the consoles' launch as an excuse to stop piracy like how Sony disabled PS3's Other OS feature because Geohot hacked the PS3, and piracy concerns from Other OS hacking making their games not sell well.

Back