Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
A 26-year-old Saudi gamer says his PlayStation Network account was locked for using the word Jihad—which also happens to be his first name.

Jihad Al Mofadda, whose story shot to the front page of Reddit yesterday, said that Sony banned his account on June 7. At first, PlayStation customer support offered to switch his PSN name to something else. Then, he says, after a few days of silence, a different representative reviewed the ticket and decided to ban the account entirely, preventing Al Mofadda from accessing his stats, trophies, and all of the digital games he’s purchased. After his story exploded, Al Mofadda was able to get in touch with a Sony representative again, but he was unable to keep his original handle.

more here.

Sony really needs to roll out name changes.

What a waste of money that he had to spend out

This is actually the first I've heard of this story and while it does seem that Sony have been a bit over zealous to say the least, it's a sign of the times we're living in now I guess. Any name that we use on any online account these days will be put under the microscope more than ever before and as unfortunate it is, certain 'at risk' words are going to be challenged and banned, no matter if it's your name or not.

I'm impressed that he actually managed to get in touch with a Sony representative in the first place and I was beginning to think they didn't exist as after a few years of trying myself, I've not got through to one yet!

Back