Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Hoping to mod your games on PS4? Afraid it won't happen.

Bethesda announced a few months ago about plans to allow mods for Fallout 4 and the upcoming Skyrim remaster on PS4 and Xbox One which is something they may have jumped the gun on.

In an update on their website today, Bethesda said that Sony won’t allow Bethesda to enable user mods.

The full statement from Bethesda:

After months of discussion with Sony, we regret to say that while we have long been ready to offer mod support on PlayStation 4, Sony has informed us they will not approve user mods the way they should work: where users can do anything they want for either Fallout 4 or Skyrim Special Edition.

Like you, we are disappointed by Sony’s decision given the considerable time and effort we have put into this project, and the amount of time our fans have waited for mod support to arrive. We consider this an important initiative and we hope to find other ways user mods can be available for our PlayStation audience. However, until Sony will allow us to offer proper mod support for PS4, that content for Fallout 4 and Skyrim on PlayStation 4 will not be available.

We will provide an update if and when this situation changes.

If you want mods on PS4, best start harassing Sony on Twitter and other media.

People won't be happy now, but then there are so much smart people around that they will still get in with mods by codding another way around. Same for GTAV people won't give up

I was disappointed to hear this, though it explains why Fallout 4 hasn't gotten mods on console yet. I'm hoping Sony will change their mind, they will hardly get more support from not allowing mods than if they had.

I bet, Sony does not want gamers to play games for a long time like many months by modding a game which can give the game months of replay value instead of 40 hours or less of gameplay like most games these days. The hours of extended replay value may make people less likely to buy other games, and DLC for their existing games because they are enjoying their modded games which give them hours of replay value.

I think if there was a way to sell mods where Sony gets a percentage of the profit, Sony may allow mods to earn more money.

I spent 100's of hours playing around with mods for elder scrolls on the pc, I was so looking forward to this, such a huge let down!

Its disappointing but I can see why it was decided this way. I think Sony would allow it if there was some form of verification process on mods, but Bethesda want anyone to be able to produce mods - this could be quite dangerous and represent a security issue which is likely why Sony wont allow it.

Back