Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
A patent filed in late 2011, but which has only been published this month, reveals that Sony is working on its own version of Kinect, Microsoft's popular motion-sensing peripheral for the Xbox 360 (and now PC).

Of course, the argument could be made that Kinect was Microsoft's own version of Sony's EyeToy (indeed, this new patent directly references 2003 trademarks Sony owns), a camera released almost a decade ago on the PlayStation 2 (and updated for the PlayStation 3), but it's too nice a day here to get bogged down in that quagmire.

The patent is for a "USER-DRIVEN THREE-DIMENSIONAL INTERACTIVE GAMING ENVIRONMENT", which would involve plugging a camera into a PlayStation and using it to read both a player's movements and their positioning in a 3D space.
It was filed by none other than Richard Marks, the main man behind Sony's PlayStation Move peripheral.

Now, as with any other patent, remember this doesn't mean Sony will be releasing a 3D camera for the PS3 (or a future console). It just means the company is thinking about it.

source

it just be a advance eye toy.

Saw this coming, Microsoft at the moment have dominated since they released Kinect and now Sony wants some of that spotlight so why not take their idea and make something of your own.

Saw this coming, Microsoft at the moment have dominated since they released Kinect and now Sony wants some of that spotlight so why not take their idea and make something of your own.

are we reading the same article? Kinect is based on the eye toy which sony made. If sony were to come out with kinect of their own it would be a advance eye toy.

I always thought the Kinect was based on the Xbox 360 webcam called the live cam, but the Live cam was probably copied from the Eye toy and other web cam games for PC if they exist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA7VUVugBvM

Eye Toy came first before any of the previous mentioned Microsoft peripherals. Microsoft took the Eye Toy, and made it a bit better, but essentially the same.

Well, I do think that in this race where Sony and Microsoft are going head to head in dominating the gaming console market, it is just a matter of time before Sony also pulls off their own version of a Kinect. Nothing shocking about that I guess. It really only depends on who releases it first, and the rival would just work hard at refining that little toy till they are confident their creation is in ways better than their rivals. After this, the whole cycle begins again... But we consumers should be glad that these MNCs are fighting it all out, blasting money into R&D just so we would all have a better than ever gaming experience!

If Sony decides to make something like the Kinect, they'll hopefully make one important change. The Kinect needs too much space to work properly. I think that Sony will have a hit if the camera works properly in a smaller space. That would make it more ideal for people with apartments and small living rooms.

I don't care much for motion sensor games. Right now it just isn't worth it and I'll stick to having the controller in my hand. Same way I want my games PHYSICALLY there, book, box and cartridge. Not digital :pinch: .

Well after the flop the Move proven to be, a full sensorized, non-controller, full body controlled thing like the Kinect would make perfect sense. Especially since the Kinect is based off the PS Eye. An advanced version of it for the next PS console or even the PS3 would make perfect sense. :)

Even if Kinect was based on the EyeToy, they did it better, so yeah, I agree Sony needs to come back with something better than the Move if they want to keep up with this direction of gaming. It can't just be full body detection, it has to include being able to hear voice commands also.

Back