E3 Sony's conference was bad

benoit489

Assistant Regional Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Gameplay demos overstayed their welcome. No big reveals like last year. Speaking of last year, this conference was mostly just trailers for games announced last year. Lots of stuff coming in 2018.

They need to take a note from Bethesda and Ubisoft. Try to save announcements for games when they are near ready to come out, and cut all the goofy side show stuff that detracts from the games.

Not their best that's for sure, I hear their twitch stream was complete crap as well. Plus they kept panning to the audience too much, also why didn't Sony use the stage at all besides some fire and moving zombie bodies? They would have been better off with a Nintendo style Direct.

Spider man and all the games they showed off look good, but other than spider man I saw nothing I wanted to play.

I didn't see it live because it was at like 3 AM for me but I will rewatch the VODs. I did check through the game titles that they've announced and the ones I am looking forward to are Horizon's new DLC and Days Gone, other than that I am not that impressed. I am quite sad that they didn't announce Bloodborne 2, was expecting it. The first one was and still is popular so that seems like a shame. And the new FFXV is a big disappointment.

I did watch the Ubisoft's conference and have to admit that I enjoyed it a lot. Just the way you described Sony's I am skeptical if I even want to go watch the VOD, haha.

Yeah I thought so too. Their Twitch stream was very poor technically so had to watch on YouTube, then the show was the shortest I've seen at E3 for a while I think. What they showed was good but they wasted surprises by showing all this stuff last year so it was just new trailers for that. No wow factor, no surprise reveals really. They missed third party trailers too which could have helped (Red Dead Redemption 2, etc). They still haven't shown what Sucker Punch are working on. And they wasted some reveals and trailers for games in the preshow which seemed dumb to me. The games shown were good so the conference was alright I think, better than Bethesda and EA at least.

Bethesda's wasn't any great either. It was just 5 minutes of the host talking, then about 20 minutes of a video. The video even had "reactions" from Youtube watchers and it was out of sync for about a second, and the watchers looked like they didn't know the first thing about the Elder Scrolls games. It was a terrible presentation, and they even tried to insert the whole "paid mods" idea again with a different name this time, like it would fool anyone into thinking it's an innovative idea. These shows are more disappointment than what they are worth, to be honest.

Sony has to be saving the good stuff for their upcoming Sony Conference. When I was watching it on Twitch I fell asleep cause there was nothing exciting going on.

Bethesda's wasn't any great either. It was just 5 minutes of the host talking, then about 20 minutes of a video. The video even had "reactions" from Youtube watchers and it was out of sync for about a second, and the watchers looked like they didn't know the first thing about the Elder Scrolls games. It was a terrible presentation, and they even tried to insert the whole "paid mods" idea again with a different name this time, like it would fool anyone into thinking it's an innovative idea. These shows are more disappointment than what they are worth, to be honest.
Using YouTube reactions as time-padding? Seriously?

For a professional presentation at an event like E3, that reflects rather poorly on Sony.

It begs the question of why they really bothered to even show up, given they're saving all the "good stuff" for their own event. I mean, it makes sense for them to be at E3, but it was a rather token effort.

Sony should have put some of the stuff they had in their pre-conference into their main one, or not had a pre-conference at all. Kinda stole the thunder a bit

Using YouTube reactions as time-padding? Seriously?

For a professional presentation at an event like E3, that reflects rather poorly on Sony.

It begs the question of why they really bothered to even show up, given they're saving all the "good stuff" for their own event. I mean, it makes sense for them to be at E3, but it was a rather token effort.
I agree, and I think it's because of the lack of competition with these companies. They each have their own thing, with their own money making franchises, and they really don't need to out-shine the others to get a lead on the product. People will still buy the next Fallout game. People will buy the next Assassins Creed or Call of Duty. They really have no incentive to outdo each other, and the sole purpose of these events is to basically sell preorder games for their next big thing.

I stayed up to watch it live.

I stayed up to watch it live and it only lasted an hour or so. Worse than that, it was lackluster at best, terrible at worst. They did exactly what they had to do and not what was expected of them, therefore our hopes and dreams were crushed lol
I'm excited about the releases, don't get me wrong, but I was expecting a plot twist or a surprise that just never came.

I stayed up to watch it live.

I stayed up to watch it live and it only lasted an hour or so. Worse than that, it was lackluster at best, terrible at worst. They did exactly what they had to do and not what was expected of them, therefore our hopes and dreams were crushed lol
I'm excited about the releases, don't get me wrong, but I was expecting a plot twist or a surprise that just never came.
These shows usually are. Unless the one game you are hoping for shows up, the entire thing would feel like filler to you. When I saw Bethesda's presentation, I really wanted an Elder Scrolls 6, but I end up getting card games, DLCs and sequels of other games, and the Morrowind DLC for the Online game which costs a whole lot of money by the way. It's more like these companies show these new games so they can release the preorder packages on Steam and rake in money as soon as possible. But hey, I guess that's the trend with today's games huh?

Back