Spectre & Meltdown: Is the Xbox One, PS4 and Swtich affected?

Danielx64

Credits
I think Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo will fix your online gaming account if a hacker locks you out of your own account by changing your password by using the Spectre and Meltdown security vulnerability.

I imagine most toys, and entertainment devices which has an Intel or vulnerable AMD CPU won't release a patch for Spectre and Meltdown.

I feel people should not use game consoles for logging into websites like their bank's website, and online accounts like e-mail, YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIN because a game console's OS is not designed to be as secure as other operating systems like Debian. Game console CPU maybe less secure because the CPU's are cheaper, and maybe custom designed to run at faster speeds, so some security features like data and disk encryption maybe disabled.

So if a patch gets included for consoles, will they slow down?

Not looking good guys :(

Indeed it is not.

Just curious: how likely are you to store passwords on a Nintendo Switch?

Likely if you happen to use the save password feature. If nothing else then your Nintendo account could be at risk.

I think the bad web browsing, and controller typing experience on most consoles may put fewer people at risk since people are less likely to use their consoles for logging into their e-mail and online bank account because of the slow typing experience when you type with a controller. Browsers on consoles are also not very good to use compared to browsers for PC.

I think the bad web browsing, and controller typing experience on most consoles may put fewer people at risk since people are less likely to use their consoles for logging into their e-mail and online bank account because of the slow typing experience when you type with a controller. Browsers on consoles are also not very good to use compared to browsers for PC.

people tend to use their consoles for a lot of things. Wouldn't be surprised if there are a few out there with banking info on them.

people tend to use their consoles for a lot of things. Wouldn't be surprised if there are a few out there with banking info on them.

I think there are a few people who may use a console for online banking. But, the number of people using their console for online banking is probably getting lower since you can buy a $20 tablet, or $150 laptop which has a better typing experience with a keyboard, and more browsers choices like Firefox, Vivaldi, Brave, and Chrome.

Back