Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Just look at the news and there is chaos brewing in the EU union, but what does this mean for the gaming industry in the UK area? Well read up on it here, its a good read. If video is more of your thing, there is this:

Last edited:
This could absolutely be the best thing that could have happened for the gaming industry in the UK if Trump manages to win in 2016 (remember his mother was a native Scot). I could certainly see an agreement where the UK joins NAFTA or its equivalent and gains access to North America and a ready-made market with a competitive price advantage after the significant decline of the pound. If Clinton winds .. it will be a struggle for the UK.

Wow, I guess a lot of industries are going to have problems as well as good things happen. I did not know that there was going to be any effect for game developers as well, this whole thing is something new for the international community. I'm happy that it's happening actually because it shows that human-kind can still change for what's best for humanity. Just not in America.

As someone who has studied economics I can say it's far too early to tell what effect it will have on the economy and the video game industry. The negotiations on leaving the EU will take over 2 years and is likely to involve keeping some agreements in place with Europe in terms of trade and the moment of labour. So I'd argue it won't really have much of an impact at all, in the long term once the details are arranged at least.

I think the UK's exit will trigger a few more countries to leave so, in the long run, you'll see a lot more individual trade deals between countries that will be dependent on currency valuations. The UK will be fine in the long run but I suspect that the EU will be much worse off.

I Read the article. Most people argue that the main reaso In UK split was mostly for a campaign of xenophobic fear rather than for economic reasons, I tend to agree with them, they immediately lost the benefits of being a EU coalition country. In regards of videogames, of course, as an economic activity, the crash of sterling pounds meant sheer loss for all those arranged budgets prepared for funding development. But since videogames industry pretty much is independent from EU it may also vary the situation among british developers. For example, british kickstarters already receiving funding in $$ did not have to worry about it. But all the people earning living wages paid in pounds indeed have to deal with this decrease.

There is a very good reason why the UK chose to leave the EU and it was for the same reason that the U.S. economy has fallen into a ditch over the past few years even with, essentially, a 0% Federal finds rate. The massive and excessive regulations being placed on businesses and products were strangling the small and medium-sized companies .. basically those companies that have historically provided the most innovation. Without the overbearing regulations of the EU, the UK can mimic Ireland and make their country a haven for investment which will really be a boon for hi-tech industries including the relatively small UK video game companies. It will be a 3-4 year hit for the UK but, within a decade, the UK video game industry will be in a better situation.

I haven't thought about the consequences for the video gaming industry after the brexit, thank you for pulling attention onto that.
So right now just being patient and wait to see what the new laws are going to be is the only thing you can do, I guess. Hopefully the political area for once doesn't completely sh*t on video games.

Back