Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from Gamesindustry biz on it, so another competitor against Stadia?

The Final Fantasy publisher tells GamesIndustry.bizthat it's only a consideration for now, as it's also working with Xbox on Game Pass, as well as other gaming subscription services.

"We are exploring at present both possibilities," Square Enix president Yosuke Matsuda told GamesIndustry.biz at E3. "And we do already provide games for Microsoft's Game Pass. But at the end of the day, the direction that we're thinking about is having a channel of our own."

Multiple AAA publishers - including Take-Two CEO Strauss Zelnick - have dismissed the business model for their biggest games.

"That's true," Matsuda continued. "But at the same time that would require significant preparations and investment. We'd also have to consider whether or not it will work well solely including our own catalogue titles. At present, as I say, we are offering our games on multiple subscription services, including Microsoft's. But eventually I do think that we need to get to the point where we have enough insight that we can build our own service."

Last edited:
I bet, SquareEnix probably don't want to share their profits with Google Stadia, and other game streaming services. This sort of reminds me of how a lot of video companies like Disney, HBO, etc now have their own video streaming services rather than sharing their profits with Netflix or Amazon video streaming.

Square Enix did try a game streaming service before, Shinra Technologies, back in 2014. But they lost 2 billion yen from the service and shut it down.

Probably a terrorist group called AVALANCHE had something to do with the loss lol

Last edited:
Back