Other Square Enix To Be "Aggressive In Applying" AI Going Forwards

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Username Style

Ah, what a lovely way to kick off 2024, eh?

Square Enix's President Takashi Kiryu has revealed that the company will be "aggressive in applying" AI in its content development and publishing divisions in the future after he praised the technology in a New Year's Letter (thanks, VGC).

Published on January 1st, 2024, the letter outlines industry innovations and Kiryu's vision for Square Enix moving forward. With AI specifically, he mentions that "generative AI has the potential not only to reshape what we create but also to fundamentally change the processes by which we create, including programming".

Kiryu then presents Square Enix's goals as it moves into 2024, stating his intention to increase knowledge sharing in the company, optimise resource allocation, promote global collaboration, and other thrilling means of conducting serious business.

In an alarming but not altogether surprising paragraph, he then mentions that Square Enix will be "aggressive in applying" AI for both short-term and long-term means:

"We also intend to be aggressive in applying AI and other cutting-edge technologies to both our content development and our publishing functions. In the short term, our goal will be to enhance our development productivity and achieve greater sophistication in our marketing efforts. In the longer term, we hope to leverage those technologies to create new forms of content for consumers, as we believe that technological innovation represents business opportunities."

I feel like doing this would ruin their brand. But to find ways where it's helpful might kick people out of a job.

Hopefully, there will not be many SquareEnix workers like graphic designers, and game story writers who lose their jobs because their job got replaced by AI software which produces content which is good enough for most game buyers.

Every day it seems like someone is trying to use AI in one way or another so this isn't to surprising. I just wonder what the long term effects will be. Reduced quality games perhaps?

Absolutely. Have you seen the Ai generated "Art" and text? It's so soulless and you get sick of looking at it and reading chatgpt generated paragraphs after a just a short while. But corporations can't recognize quality art if it hit them in the face. Of course they'd get rid of good artists and swap it for that garbage if it meant reducing the costs.

Absolutely. Have you seen the Ai generated "Art" and text? It's so soulless and you get sick of looking at it and reading chatgpt generated paragraphs after a just a short while. But corporations can't recognize quality art if it hit them in the face. Of course they'd get rid of good artists and swap it for that garbage if it meant reducing the costs.
Agreed

I feel SquareEnix using AI can cause some SquareEnix workers to retire sooner from their SquareEnix job if they feel Square Enix using AI is making SquareEnix's games not as good because the AI generated game's storyline is boring, and AI generated artwork in games are not good.

I feel SquareEnix using AI can cause some SquareEnix workers to retire sooner from their SquareEnix job if they feel Square Enix using AI is making SquareEnix's games not as good because the AI generated game's storyline is boring, and AI generated artwork in games are not good.
I'm not sure if retiring is an option. It costs money to live.

I'm not sure if retiring is an option. It costs money to live.

I think retiring maybe an option for some workers who worked as game workers for many years, and saved enough money to retire.

I wonder if game workers would make enough money to live a decent life if SquareEnix uses A.I. to create most of their games, and SquareEnix decreases the working hours per day for many workers.

Back