Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
The Nintendo 3DS is giving Shigeru Miyamoto the opportunity to fulfill a wish: remake Star Fox 64. In the newest installment of Iwata Asks, Nintendo president and CEO Saturo Iwata sat down with Miyamoto to talk about the two upcoming N64 remakes for the 3DS – Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Star Fox 64. According to Miyamoto, not only has enough time passed to make the remakes relevant, but the hardware has finally caught up to his ambition for an update.

Miyamoto believes that the field of depth allowed by the 3DS will greatly enhance Star Fox 64's over-the-shoulder action. "The more you understand the depth and distance, the easier it is to play," Miyamoto said. "I don't mean that it gets easier to clear. It just feels much better when you're shooting at floating objects, or passing through things, or picking up items."

As for the issue of time, Miyamoto acknowledges that a lot of gamers coming to the 3DS are perhaps too young to have played Star Fox 64 on the N64 when it originally released in 1997. Miyamoto cites the successful re-releases of Super Mario Bros. as another good reason for Star Fox 64 to make a comeback.

"Super Mario Bros. has been made many times over for all different types of hardware, but every time, both first-time players and people who are already familiar with it come together and enjoy playing it. That makes me really happy."

In 1997, Star Fox 64 was highly praised and is still recognized as a fun adventure – as well as one of the better entries in the series. (It's also the genesis of "Do a barrel roll!") We'll have more on the Star Fox 64 remake in the coming weeks, but what do you think about Nintendo raiding its archives for 3DS games? After all, Star Fox 64 joins Ocarina of Time as N64 games bound for the 3DS. Do you want more of these? If so, which games deserve the 3DS treatment next?

source

I rather have another game made then a remake.

I never got to play the original, so I want this. Star Fox Command was kind of good, but I hear 64 is far better.

Back