Star Fox Zero

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
So, what do you think of it, if you've played it already? It's coming out on Friday, so we should be getting some more opinions on the game soon.

The journalists had mixed opinions apparently. Most seem to be average, with a few negative ones thrown in:

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/star-fox-zero-and-star-fox-guard-are-receiving-mixed-reviews

The motion control stuff is not doing well with some people online either.

But what do you think?

And now, here's the anime video from yesterday:

It looks pretty sweet... makes you want a full series, doesn't it?

I'm kind of tempted (ha) to get this, but I haven't really been following it too closely. With how the controls are handled--especially with the active use of the gamepad display--I feel it'll either be something I'll really like or really hate. And, frankly--and since I've never played a Star Fox game--I'm not sure I want to spend $60 to find out which that may be. This is probably why game rentals are popular now, but, meh. Maybe some day I'll get it, but today isn't that day. It looks really good, though; I just don't have money to throw around right now.

I might get this game tonight. I'm going out to get some stuff done anyway. However, I still have a huge load of games that I still haven't beaten so I might also end up waiting a while.

I just got it this morning. Graphics are good, bright and engaging, voice acting's good. I haven't played through it all yet (keep getting my butt kicked at Titania), but the levels I've played have been alright. Nothing astonishing, but not bad either. I really dislike the control scheme, but you all knew I wouldn't dig the gyro controls anyway. It just feels clunky to me, like I'm spending more time fighting the controls then the enemies. I assume it will get better with practice, but I don't feel like the fights will be any more engaging for having them either. I'm too busy looking back and forth between the screens to notice much of anything else. The walker vehicle is obnoxious to control as well.

MINOR SPOILERS: (I dunno how to do a spoiler cut :/ ) So far the only level I've played so far I legitimately didn't like was the Gyro-Wing level on Zoness. It was disappointing to me to have it all take place inside the base- Zoness was one of my favorite levels in Star Fox 64. The giant toxic ocean, with a great sense of scale with the huge ships and massive serpent monsters leaping from the water you could fly around. The music was epic and really set the mood, especially when the characters talk about the ecological disaster that happened there. It was really different from the rest of the game, and exciting because of it, something I was looking forward to seeing in HD. Alas, instead we got a slow paced, stealth drone stage, where you fly the most uninteresting vehicle around, dropping an obnoxious little robot on a too short tether to mash it's face into security panels to interact with them. It's depressingly dull, and really doesn't do the planet any justice when coming from the previous game.

It's weird they changed Sector X, Y and Z to Sector A and B; didn't really seem to be a reason to arbitrarily change their names. Also a little annoyed with some of the dialogue changes, where they changed lines from the older games just for the sake of them being different. "All ships report." changed to "All ships check in." which just sounds weird because military-like peeps 'report' they don't 'check in' like children calling home? I dunno, it feels like they changed things up just so they'd be different, which to me isn't a good enough reason. Like I get that it's a new game and wasn't intended to be a straight remake/rehash, but if you're going to use dialogue lines that are nearly word for word like that, it's really bizarre to just tweak one word instead of leaving it as is.

END SPOILERS

So far, it's a good game. I personally feel like it would have been better if they'd spent more time making more engaging cut scenes, dialogue and story, with awesomely epic battles, rather then try to force a 'neat' control setup that would take a lot of extra planning and design around it. It seems like Nintendo just really wanted to show off the game pad, which I get, I just wish they would've chosen some other series's future to hang their awful gyro controlled hopes on. I just hope to god Nintendo doesn't balk from making future Star Fox games if this one doesn't do well- I've waited my whole life for HD Star Fox, it'll just kill me if I don't get more because of the lame gyro controls!

I just bought it. I didn't know it was going to come with Star Fox Guard. I don't even remember what that is. I'm going to start playing it soon though. I'm going to eat first.

Edit: I've played the first two missions. It's fun, it really is, but damn the controls. I don't like the gyro controls. I used to have no issues with them, but ever since M&L Dream Team, I've hated them. It doesn't help that you have to look between the gamepad and the tv screen either. If your redical is off, you won't really know until you look down.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to try it but we got it yesterday. My roommate finished the main line already. he is still in awe. he said the controllers are a slow learning curve but once you get them they are really satisfactory. I guess I will take it slowly when I try it.

Okay, so I beat the main story earlier today. I actually got stuck on the final boss. The boss wasn't really hard. It felt more like I was fighting the terrible controls.

No spoiler thoughts: It's really good, I won't lie. It has the same charm as Star Fox 64, environments look nice. The planets are well designed, besides Zoness, as Brunn pointed out for the same reasons. The other vehicles are fun to use as well. I love how Star Fox goes back to its roots as a mainly on the rails shooter because Star Fox Adventure and Star Fox Assault didn't do the franchise any favors, imo. Overall I'd give it a 7/10.

Just one thing though.
Is this game supposed to be a remake of Star Fox 64? I honestly can't tell. The story has changes in it that says, "No, this is a different game from Star Fox 64," but it also has enough things that say, "This game is basically Star Fox 64. We just added some unneeded adjustments to make it feel like a different game."

I'm also trying to figure out where this would go in the Star Fox timeline, which I'll put in spoilers as well.

Krystal isn't in this game so it takes place before Adventures, or as previously stated, as remake of Star Fox 64. However, Peppy is really old, as he was in Adventures. So unless this game takes place way after Star Fox 64, right before Adventures... I'm not sure.
I might also be thinking way too hard about a video game.

As for the timeline, I think it's possible that this is canonically the first game in the series. I say this because when you first meet Andross in this game, he says something along the lines of "So YOU'RE James McCloud's son...", like he doesn't know Fox already. Also the game's Title, Star Fox ZERO, that might also point to it being a prequel.

As for the timeline, I think it's possible that this is canonically the first game in the series. I say this because when you first meet Andross in this game, he says something along the lines of "So YOU'RE James McCloud's son...", like he doesn't know Fox already. Also the game's Title, Star Fox ZERO, that might also point to it being a prequel.
That's a good point you have there. Though, it still doesn't answer Peppy's age. Could be an over sight...

Peppy's old in every game...
He looks notibly younger in Star Fox 64. I just looked up comparisons from 64, Adventures, Assault, and Zero. He looks younger in 64, old in Adventures and Assault, and in Zero, he looks young, but there's a small weight difference. It's been a while since I've seen 64 Peppy and Adventures Peppy I guess. So with this new information I can say
this game looks like a remake of Star Fox 64, with minor differences.

It's supposed to be restart guys, that's why it's essentially a newer version of 64. Peppy should be the same age that he was in 64, it's just having more realistic fur details for the better graphics that are giving him that more aged appearance, rather then just being a flat brown polygon. Not really a spoiler, it's widely known.

It's supposed to be restart guys, that's why it's essentially a newer version of 64. Peppy should be the same age that he was in 64, it's just having more realistic fur details for the better graphics that are giving him that more aged appearance, rather then just being a flat brown polygon. Not really a spoiler, it's widely known.
That would make sense. I mistook the fur details as facial hair since he has more in Adventures forward.

Weird because the game is awesome.

I also tried Star Fox Guard because it was bundled. I didn't like it very much. It's not a terrible game, I just don't like tower defense games as much as I used to.

Back