Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
SWTOR is based on the Knights of the Old Republic universe from BioWare's Xbox and PC creations. The Old Republic is a "story-driven MMO," and Bioware jokes that The Old Republic is KOTOR 3,4,5 and beyond.

The Old Republic is BioWare's first take into the MMORPG world. BioWare said that each player in the upcoming MMO will have their own unique story, where again, consequences will be faced whether the player chooses to walk the path of light or delve into the dark side.

BioWare's Greg Zeschuk said during the press event that companion characters in The Old Republic would play a significant role. Much like the support characters in the past KOTOR titles, whether the players decides to become a Sith Lord or a Jedi Knight, companion characters will change according to the player's decisions.

Players can embark on their new Star Wars journey through the Sith Empire or the Galactic Republic, each supporting multiple sub-classes with unique storylines. Game art director Jeff Dobson said that his team focused on making each character in the game iconic to promote each class further to players. So, creating our very own Han Solo and Boba Fett could be very possible indeed.

According to Zeschuk, his team is currently "working hard" to bring us the title and for now, Star Wars: The Old Republic will be available for the PC.

So, it's been confirmed folks. BioWare's next Star Wars project is indeed a MMO title. Are you happy with the decision, or would you rather have seen a Knights of the Old Republic 3 RPG game? Let us know, but as for us, we're already contemplating on how our lives will revolve around this title when it launches.

more here

QUOTE (timster0 @ October 21, 2008 08:07 pm) SWEEEEEET!!!!!! There wasn't really a need for a KOTOR 3 I think.
Yes there was.

Also, is there a known cost to play this game?

QUOTE (GAMER_NOW @ October 21, 2008 08:31 pm) QUOTE (timster0 @ October 21, 2008 08:07 pm) SWEEEEEET!!!!!! There wasn't really a need for a KOTOR 3 I think.
Yes there was.

Also, is there a known cost to play this game?
a lot of details on this game are still unknow at this time.

Shacknews talked to Erickson about the considerable writing effort in the long-awaited MMO and learned about a great deal, from moral decisions and Jedi to bunnies and Han Solo.

On the way story will work in The Old Republic:
"We have classes in the game, and every class has a different story. Every class has a story that will take you from the first level of the game to the last level of the game, and none of those stories are the same.

In the same way, faction stuff is split out between the Empire and Republic. So the takeaway note from this is, if you roll a Jedi character and you play them from the first level to the last level, and then you roll a Sith and you play them from the first, you will not see one repeated quest, line of dialogue, or piece of content. It is a 100% different story experience.

That is not to say you won't see the opposite side of the conflict. It is about war. We don't play common people. We play huge heroes in the Star Wars universe, which means the war is important."

On the strength of class-based story:
"You are a Sith. You have a Darth Vader fantasy. You are now playing, for all intents and purposes, a Sith RPG."

On how confusing the story will be for newcomers:
"What happened to Bastilla? This isn't stuff that we would ever shove into someone's face. People will be playing that have never played a KOTOR game, or have even watched a Star Wars movie.

Just like we would for any fantasy game, [as a Jedi starting out] you go to Typhon, you train to be a Jedi, and you learn what it means to be a Jedi."

On the idea of choice-based story in an MMO:
"You're 60 hours into the game on the light side, and you hit this huge choice. You know exactly what you want to do, and you look for the save button, and you realize there is no save button. I'm gonna make this choice, and this choice is going to be my choice forever. It makes not only the individualism of we're actually telling this story, but the power of making these choices stronger than they've ever been in any BioWare game."

On how the story will change depending on your companions:
"The things you get to see are going to be dependent on who you're traveling with. If Han had never hooked up on Luke, he would have never had a perspective on the Force."

On the possibility of more abstract, Han Solo-type classes:
"There are a lot of fantasies in Star Wars, and they're not all Jedi and Sith."

On including quests that don't feel "epic":
"You will never have a stranger ask you to save her cat.

There are no bunnies. There are no rabbits. You are a Jedi. At no point will you be sitting down saying, okay, I have three buttons and a crystal. If I only had some thread, I could make some shoes."

On whether this means there won't be crafting:
"That is not correct. There will be crafting."

source

QUOTE (Demon_Skeith @ October 22, 2008 06:17 pm) Shacknews talked to Erickson about the considerable writing effort in the long-awaited MMO and learned about a great deal, from moral decisions and Jedi to bunnies and Han Solo.

There are no bunnies. There are no rabbits.
There are no bunnies and rabbits
sad0049.gif

Anyway, I'm seriously thinking about this since Kotor was so great. My only question is: How much?

EDIT:

QUOTE Refresh Thread
By: Lunatic Angelic x
No, there's no grinding. Everyone is maximum level right away and everyone at top level doesn't pay monthly fees.

If that person is right, does that mean its free? And can someone confirm this?

QUOTE (LordMorbid @ October 22, 2008 10:22 pm) Sorry, but I would have much rather preferred that they made an actual Knights Of The Old Republic 3, since I dislike MMORPG's, particularly the pay-to-play ones.
I would have preferred that too.

Back