Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Full year of Nintendo Online
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
After a healthy number of sales and new releases this year, Steam is still going strong –– today's peak user count reached 7.6 million, and sits at 7 million as of this writing, according to a Steam stats page.

Titles such as DOTA 2 and Left 4 Dead 2 contributed greatly to the high user count today, pulling in 600,000 and 111,000 users, respectively. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2 also had an exceptional number of players today.

Steam's year-end numbers accompany two huge games sales, the Steam Autumn Sale and Holiday Sale. The current Holiday Sale added a twist this year, allowing players to earn badges that can be traded in before the sale ends Jan. 3. Users can earn badges in several different ways, such as spending money, voting for community flash sales or trading them with other users.

source

Nice, wish I could have founded steam.

The number of Steam users is actually 65 million according to Gamespot, and other sites. 7.6 million is the peak number of members logging in at one time.

Steam now has more than 65 million registered users, Valve announced today. During the trailing 12 months, the number of Steam accounts grew by 30 percent, the company said. This figure is up from 50 million announced in September 2012.

By comparison, Xbox Live has 48 million registered users. It is unclear how many have signed up for a PlayStation Network account.
Gamespot

It would be impossible for all 65 millions members to be logged in at the same time because of different time zones, school and work times, and other offline commitments like going out with friends, volunteering, and dinner.

Doesn't stream force users to signup with certain purchases?

Orijin from EA was bragging about their total registrations but it doesn't really count because they force users to signup when purchasing their games.

I think all purchases, and even free to play games like Dota 2, and Team Fortress need an account, and the Steam software to be installed on your PC before you can play them.

To be fair, most online stores which sell downloadable games and content like iTunes, Gog.com, Google Play, Amazon, and others require people to sign-up for an account if they want to buy digital content like games. Making an account is useful for billing, downloading your stuff to other PCs and devices you own at a latter time.

Requiring members to make accounts keeps the members forum and user game reviews section less spammy since anonymous posters on forums are more likely to be forum spammers, trolls and spam bots compared to long time members who are rarely spammers.

Steam rocks.  I used to not like it, but then I got broadband and now love it. :)

Back