Taking apart broken phone/tablet's CPU, RAM, GPU to make Gaming Console or PC?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
If I had a powerful mobile device like Microsoft Surface Pro tablet or Samsung Galaxy S6-7 with a broken screen, I may reuse the parts by taking it apart, and install the motherboard/circuit board with all the parts on it into a desktop PC case, or custom made case and use it for gaming on a TV. I also install a small fan to keep everything cool while in the desktop PC case.

I think if you are good at designing, building electronics, and soldering, it won't be too hard to turn most smartphones and tablets into Handheld game consoles with a physical controller and custom case since smartphone parts are pretty similar to handheld gaming parts.

When I upgrade, I fully plan to take my Samsung note 4 apart to see how they are built.

You can't, I taken apart a tablet before and all you see is a battery that takes up the space. And the board is apart of the screen. Depends on the tablets since each is definitely. Also you need to know the power out and not all devices support big TV screaming screen

You can't, I taken apart a tablet before and all you see is a battery that takes up the space. And the board is apart of the screen. Depends on the tablets since each is definitely. Also you need to know the power out and not all devices support big TV screaming screen

I would most likely need some special tools, but anything can be taken apart down to the last screws and nuts.

I would most likely need some special tools, but anything can be taken apart down to the last screws and nuts.

I agree most electronics can be taken apart if you have the right tools, and training. I seen some videos online of people repairing motherboards on laptops. But, they need a microscope to see the smaller parts, and to replace tiny parts on a motherboard.

I agree most electronics can be taken apart if you have the right tools, and training. I seen some videos online of people repairing motherboards on laptops. But, they need a microscope to see the smaller parts, and to replace tiny parts on a motherboard.
Definitely, and it's a fun learning curve.

Nah. That seems like too much work for me, and I'd need a detailed tutorial to be able to do it.
I completely agree with him! And also, I do not even know if it is that worth it, performance wise. Maybe it is, if you fully know what you are doing and understand what to do with the separated components.

Back