The 3DS is a "glorified flip phone" according to this reviewer

benoit489

Assistant Regional Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/i-was-a-final-fantasy-addict

Today, I am a modern, fully functional, city-dwelling adult. I write about food for a living, I own a comfortable sofa, I belong to a book club, and I spend too much money on alcohol. I live in Brooklyn.

In order to fulfill my mission I first had to get used to the Nintendo 3DS, which I’d never picked up before. It’s a nifty little system, but it’s not nearly as immersive a platform as a console hooked up to a TV screen. The console’s job as a piece of machinery is to pretend it doesn’t exist. An RPG on a glorified flip phone, it, instead of feeling like a virtual otherworld or a movie in which you have the privilege of playing a character, just feels like what it is: a game.

Bravely Default doesn’t really scratch the same itch as the RPGs I used to love, but I don’t know that anything could. I don’t think I have that itch anymore. I have a job that challenges me. I have good books and fancy cocktails and television shows that keep me entertained. I live in a city that’s full of astonishing beauty and irredeemable villains, in roughly equal measure. But playing the game has certainly made me feel a real nostalgia, not exactly for those old games themselves, but for how fiercely absorbed in them I was. I’m not sorry to be living a complicated, fascinating, grown-up life that I find more interesting than any all-consuming role-playing game. It’s just that sometimes I miss saving the world.

Go ahead and give the full article a read, I just included the snippets that stood out to me. IMO the article is awful, the woman writing it is a year older than me but she seems very misled on what it means to be an adult. Parts of what she talks about are true, you are much busier as an adult and it makes me really miss my college years when I had unlimited gaming time. Other parts are just silly, like being too buys watching TV and making cocktails to possibly be bothered with playing video games.

Most of the article is pretty cringe worthy. It's mostly about her history of being too embarrassed to admit she was a gamer and believing she transcended to adulthood in college when she spent her time hanging out with cute boys (notice she says roommate not husband in the article so you see how that panned out). Not really sure how this counts as a review of Bravely Default or how she got picked for it.

These are my favorite comments on the article:

PUZZFEUD
about 3 weeks ago

… is this a review of Bravely Default or a manifesto of how much an “adult” you are because you don’t play video games anymore?

stephanecd
about 3 weeks ago

Seems to me like your view of what it means to be an adult is extremely childish and stereotypical. Gaming is just another form of entertainment and fooling yourself into believing that it is something to be outgrown is nothing but pandering to outdated social trends. I’ll just leave these words from C.S. Lewis, author of the Chronicles of Narnia for you to hopefully learn something and help you actually grow up: “Critics who treat ‘adult’ as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

Bah, I agree with the comments from the article. Growing up I idolized adults…I found them easier to talk to than most people my own age, and I tended to get along with most of them really well. I thought that being an adult would be redeeming, as if I would suddenly know all the answers…now that I am a young adult, I realize that's not true. I don't know what I'm doing, and that fact only gets clearer every passing day. What I do know, though, is that gaming plays such a huge part in my life I don't want it to leave…it's one of my escapes from reality, alongside reading. I'm the adult now, I get to decide what that means, and if I want to play games, I'll play games. Heck, I'm studying to go into software development…there's a small possibility I'll end up MAKING games of one sort or another…bleh, that article just irritated me.

I pity this poor woman, she's trying far, far to hard to be an adult. Being an adult doesn't mean you give up the things you enjoy for 'adult things'; it just means your mature enough to embrace your responsibilities as well as doing the things you enjoy. In any case, she does t sound like any real gamer I know. If she feels handhelds are nothing more then glorified flip phones, perhaps she should stick with Farmville and angry birds. Those seem to be the acceptable 'adult' games for people like her.

>Adult
ADULT
i thought you were 12 ._.

Well I read some of it, dont really have the timespan from where im at right now. I kinda see where shes comin from, work does get in the way, and you really only have focused time when youre off work and at home or unemployed. I play a lot more because my tv does not get reception at all, and im fine. Public television is garbage to me. It really comes down to passion. Im older than this woman by a few years and I have not slowed down in gaming. I have actually expanded my genre experiences to all consoles and game types online

She obviously felt RPGs dont hold up nowadays, and shes kinda right. I was an RPG nut and now the only franchise I play of that is Disgaea, with the exception of Sorcery Saga on the Vita and stick of truth. Some people grow out of it, sadly and some dont. I know I wont, ill game till im 100 yrs old and beyond.

I also WISH the 3ds would be a flip phone, id use it more often. Last time I played was on christmas day of 2013, and I recently started playing only because I found Metroid Pinball and because I downloaded SMB3 on virtual console.

Anyone who thinks RPGs don't hold up needs to look outside the box a bit. In the Eastern JRPG world on 3DS alone, you've already got Pokemon X/Y and Mario & Luigi Dream Team, both of which are pretty far from the typical RPG formula.

Anyone who disagrees needs to consider that THIS is a special boss battle in the latter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGfmGGeZSxU

Kind of far from say, Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest battles eh?

And for Pokemon, well, the sheer depth of the battle system probably says something about the series. Forget a couple of classes of characters and magic spells, that series has something like a good few thousand possible attacks, tons of abilities, over seven hundred characters and more weird mechanics than some people probably know how to handle.

Anyone who thinks other media or parts of real life are necessarily more interesting has likely never even considered half the great games out there nowadays.

And it's not immersive, really?

Okay then...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiqbXDQUTkw

I'd say I've probably felt more immersed by Luigi's Mansion 2 than a lot of recent home console titles.

And yeah, those who give up 'fun' things in an attempt to be a 'serious' adult are those you can do nothing but pity. It's an attitude I'm surprised doesn't always die when you leave high school.

Yeah I still got a few years until adulthood so I don't have a ton of responsibility but I do know that when I am an adult all me leisure time I will devote to gaming.

I relate to what she says and somewhat grew up similar to her. I get the impression she has moved on and lost interest in gaming rather than trying to be an adult. It is true that having a job, having to cook and do housework on top (not that she mentioned this) is time consuming which leaves you little time. But if you reaaaally wanted to play games then you will fit that time in somewhere regardless. She obviously isn't interested in it anymore.

I think like me she is inclined to try out games but found them to be unsatisfactory and don't hold up to the 90s JRPG games (which is something I tend to do unfortunately). It is a shame she is surrounded by people who doesn't appreciate nerds though and perhaps that has influenced her choices.

I only recently started getting back into gaming myself after several years of sporadic play, as I was far more interested in other things like my degree and hanging out with friends (as I missed out a lot during my teenage years). I have never been fond of the new games but I am trying my best to be openminded to them now… To me playing games is still is a nostalgic memory that I am trying to overcome. Maybe I am not so interested - but part of me wants to be yet I can't seem to get into it. Very contradicting. I am getting better, esp with the help of this site...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back