The 4 Main Types Of Gamers

Lleyn

Beep
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
In only a few decades, video games have imposed themselves as the major form of entertainment available. Qualified as a trivial entertainment similar to watching TV, different gamers however exist, some only playing for a couple of hours a week, while others play for as long as 12 hours a day.

Here are the 4 main types of gamers that exist today.

Casual Gamers

Casual gamers play video games sporadically, usually with family or with friends. Video games are not their main focus and thus the time they spend on this activity is very limited. Casual players normally only use their console to pass the time on long drives or similar boring situations, when they have someone to play with (i.e. when they have guests over) or when they buy a new game. Casual players are much more numerous today than a few years ago thanks to smartphones and tablets, consoles like the Wii and casual games like Angry Birds.

Regular Gamers

Regular gamers play virtually every day. They are interested in most gaming news, willingly discuss their favourite games and devote a significant portion of their budget to their hobby. They enjoy multiplayer games and can engage in very long gaming sessions in the evening or on weekends. However, while they do invest a lot of time in video games, regular gamers retain a control over their routine and can easily limit themselves when necessary (i.e. during exams). The majority of video games enthusiasts fall into this category.

Excessive Gamers

Excessive gamers are obviously characterised by their overuse of video games, with all the negative consequences that entails, be it mental, emotional, relational, social, and even physical (fatigue, weight gain, etc.). Video games become for them the main, if not the only focus, for which they can overlook some time in their work, with their friends, with their family, etc.. Most of them are hardcore gamers, fierce competitors and are often very involved in their favourite MMO, able to play without problems during 4 or 5 hours non-stop at night and even more on weekends. However, while this may seem close to an addiction, excessive gamers still hold a sense of priorities until they get rooted into their gaming habits and find it hard to stop.

Addicted Gamers

Finally, addicted gamers cannot resist the impulse of playing games, regardless of the consequences of their excesses. To them, gaming is not just entertainment, but a need they must satisfy, even if they have to hide, lie, or let it interfere with normal and vital activities (sleeping, eating, bathing, school, work, etc..). At this point their addiction affects their mind to the extent where they mostly think about gaming, and even when undertaking other activities, think about new strategies, new games, or about reaching specific milestones in a game. Almost every single minute of their free time is put into gaming, resulting in the lack of a social life.

Nice article, I say I fall under Regular Gamers.

I fit the bill of Regular gamer for sure.

I play almost everyday but don't have time to play it excessively due to other things outside that I must take care of such as bills and work.

I would fall under Regular Gamer too, but Casual right now. I don't have much time to play now, but that will change when I come back.

Demon_Skeith said:

come back? Where you at right now?
I'm currently studying i Japan, but I will go back before November. I'm limited to a burrowed japanese Wii right now, so I don't really play much.

Demon_Skeith said:
yeah I'm with mori, your in japan? Damn you!
I ate cheap food and bought almost nothing for seven months to afford this. It was worth it. But I'm not going to go too off-topic now.

I think I am between Addicted and Excessive mainly because I used to play a lot every day, like 8-10 hours.
Now I see it as a real need to play for 4-5 hours or there are cases I don't play at all.
This is because programming has made me loose the desire to play games, but instead to make them.

I would say I'm a regular gamer, I tend to play a few times a week although I only have 4 games for my console so it limits me :p

Back