froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling

I think a lot of people are switching to regular cell phones to save money, and spend more of their time and money on other activities like watching movies instead of using a smartphone to go on social networks, watch videos, instant messaging, etc.

I feel using a regular cell phone is a simpler way for people to save money because you can buy a regular cell phone for $50 or less at many local retail stores, and prepaid plans for regular cell phones cost $10 or more per month. Some regular cell phones are usually very durable, and reliable after many years of regular use. Many regular cell phone users don't need to replace their cell phone for many years like 10 years, or keep using their cell phone until the phone becomes non-compatible with their cell phone carrier networks when they fully switch to 5G, and shutdown 4G like how 2G, 3G, and GSM networks are discontinued in many places.

In my experience, regular cell phones rarely overheat, or becomes unusable in freezing colder temperatures, so you can use them in more places without temperature problems caused by hot or cold temperature problems.

Last edited:
I feel like a lot of the issues people have with smart phones are self inflicted. Like that one chick in the video who’s on month six of using a dumb phone. She’s so relieved that the only notifications she gets are phone calls and text messages. She could have just turned off notifications for a lot of things on her phone.

For me, the only notifications I get that isn’t texts or calls is Facebook Messenger. I turned everything else off, because it’s either annoying, or pointless.

I think the bigger issue is people’s addiction to social media, and they use their phones as the scapegoat.

I need a smart phone for work, so no way can I get by with a dumbphone lol.

You can use social media anywhere, but a phone for basic needs will most likely pay off if it is cheaper in the long run, and then use a PC at home for all of that other stuff when you are able to give time for it. The thing is, it would still track you, so the tactical side of things might make you more into the smartphone side, while a dumbphone is like a media player on the side of normal phone duties.

I fought going to the smartphone for a long time. I clung unto my Blackberry until it became obsolete. I'm now a dedicate iPhone user. I totally agree that people become easily addicted to games and social media.

I think the 3G cellular network shutdown in 2022 according to ( 3G networks are shutting down in 2022 — how it impacts you ). in many places is a big reason for more people buying regular cell phones which are compatible with 4G cell networks which won't be discontinued this year.

Some people who need a newer 4G cell phone after the 3G shutdown may pick a regular call phone or feature phone compatible with 4G cell networks because they usually cost $100 or less without a more expensive monthly contract, so regular cell phones are more affordable to more people than most smartphones, or they prefer a phones with number buttons, and navigation buttons instead of using a touchscreen.

A lot of feature phone cell phones like Kai OS feature phones now have Wifi, Bluetooth, and 3rd party apps and games, and basic pre-installed apps like contacts, e-mail, calculator, picture viewer, music and video player, FM radio, web browser, so feature phones can be good enough for many users who don't need to use a certain app like Skype or game like Call of Duty mobile.

There are people who can't afford a 4G smartphone to replace their obsolete 3G smartphone which they may of gotten for free from their parents in 2007. Some people may choose to pay off all their money loans like student loans and payday cash loans before buying a more expensive smartphone like an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S22 which they want, but can't afford without borrowing more money, and they don't want to buy a cheaper smartphone, so they pick a regular cell phone or feature phone until they have enough money to pay for the phone in cash without taking out a small loan from the bank.

I got too used to having a smart phone by my side and it's hard to think of not having it now.
To be honest, unsubscribing to stuff and turning off notifications can make life peaceful

I just use my phone too much to switch to someone a little less fancy. I probably use my smartphone more than I do my laptop

I can see how some people would want a simpler phone. Anybody remember Jitterbug? Not sure if they still make them. For us, my husband only has a cell phone for emergencies as phone booths are few & far between. I unplug often from the computer. I get so irked when people are literally glued to their phones. What also annoys me is because they have their phones on 24/7, if YOU don't reply to them 'right now', they get mad at you lol

I can see how some people would want a simpler phone. Anybody remember Jitterbug? Not sure if they still make them. For us, my husband only has a cell phone for emergencies as phone booths are few & far between. I unplug often from the computer. I get so irked when people are literally glued to their phones. What also annoys me is because they have their phones on 24/7, if YOU don't reply to them 'right now', they get mad at you lol

I do hate that lifestyle, I will take my time replying to a message unless urgent, but at that point it should be a call not a text.

My parents just got a Jitterbug and they aren't internet people. But they do like to make random calls a lot. Honestly, I only use a laptop for my main communications anyways, so if I can see you online and not respond I might be worried.

I can see the appeal of regular cell phones for people who must have a reliable phone for voice calls, and receiving important text messages like sms login codes for secure websites like online banking or payment websites which sometimes send sms text or number codes to prove you are the owner of the account after you type the correct sms code into the secure website.

Regular affordable cell phones with a long battery life, reliable voice calls, and is durable enough to survive most drops without buying screen protectors and protectivr cases can be desireable phone for users who mainly rely on their cell phone to make many voice calls for contacting their boss, co-worker, clients, medical staff, and emergency services like the police or ambulance.

It is usually very fast to restart a regular cell phone. it usually takes a minute or less to turn on most regular cell phone. Sometimes restarting a cell phone can fix poor or no reception problems.

Removing and reinserting the battery in the cell phone battery slot can sometimes fix more problematic cell phone problems which is preventing you from making calls, so regular cell phones with a easily removable battery can be more desireable for people who troubleshoot and try to fix cell phone problems themselves.

Last edited:
Back