The Best X4 Space Games?

Huntn

Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
X4: FOUNDATIONS brings our most sophisticated universe SIMULATION ever. Fly every ship, EXPLORE space or manage- yeah except, you have to figure it out yourself via hours of internet exploration a broken AI, game mechanics that don’t work like they should, and zero social interaction with AI characters. :(

X4 Foundations- Third time installed, third time uninstalled. I'm done jumping through Egosoft's hoops trying to make this thing work. Trying to get the dock built on the HQ was the final straw. Plus in this universe, I am so disappointed with the lack of any kind of a meaningful interaction with intelligent species including humans. You are in this universe for a time, you want to feel like your part of something, but the shallow nature of every personal interaction is so shallow, almost an effort for what little is there has disillusioned me fast. Crew members who just basically grunt as they come out of the back of the ship, and walk past you to take the helm, while you are locked permanently on the flight deck. Yeah, I really felt like I was part of a team.

Sadly I liked the way X4 Foundations was structured with a focus on both combat and trade, it allowed you to build space stations and create a trading empire (if you can figure it out) and it allowed you to set up Captains who could act semi-autonomously. If you dislike micro-managing every little thing, this was a nice element. It’s 2 major shortcomings was sucky game AI where things don’t work the way they are supposed to, and horrendous human animations and severely lacking in RPG/social elements which are somewhat needed if you want to feel like you are operating in a living world.

So I’m back searching for a good X4 like game. At Steam had this in my play queue, installed, read several pages of tutorials (in-game) launched into the first mission and had some fun without having to spend an hour or two searching online for how to accomplish it.

What I don’t want to do is play another Civilization style game... 4X, not so much Grand strategy.

Early access, caution 1 person developer, not always a good sign in the long run:

Other links:

I like Stellaris. :) I played an older X3 or X4, can't recall. Looked wicked, but just too hard to play. :(

Would you say it is like Civilization in space?
Yes, something like that. It is real time tho, not turn based. I just installed it on my new PC along with all DLC. Looking forward to checking it out!

Back