The end of the Homecomputer Era?

[AA]OberstAffenkopf

Credits
Don't you ever ask yourself if the homecomputer will be gone one day? I mean, even laptops gets better hardware today then an usual Homecomputer. Or tablets. Especially in Gaming those 2 things improves rapidly. And look at the Consoles. They get better every time too! Look at PS 4 and Xbox One (Alienware console is Shit so dont mention it lol.).

hmm, I like to think it will never end but you never know how tech works.

I think there will always be a small subset of gamers who won't give up their towers. Sure, they're heavy and resource intensive, but there's a certain nostalgia that keeps them around. Plus the parts are still cheaper and go further than with laptops.

I can't see towers going away any time soon unless there is a radical shift in the design and development of tablets, smartphones and laptops to include modular components. Since right now they don't offer that function. But towers do and that means they have so much more variability and configuration options. Want to get a new graphics card because games don't run so well? Cool, go for it. Want to buy a second powerful graphics card to run in SLI and boost performance? Feel free. Tired of using an Intel CPU? Feel free to give AMD a shot. Want to upgrade from DDR3 to DDR4 ram? go ahead (just remember to make sure your motherboard can handle this change too).

Laptops are great for portability while maintaining power and screen size. But you really can't upgrade them. (Maybe slot in a stick of ram or change the hard drive size... but that's it. You can't decide that you want a faster CPU or to install a new GPU.) Tablets and smartphones are even less configurable with the only option being to basically add more storage space via microSD (and even then that's not always an option since apple and now Samsung seem to have this hate on for microSD.)

And right now laptops, tablets and smart phones are pretty well locked down. So towers are pretty much here to stay for serious customization and computing power.

I think there will still be a lot of people who play games on a Desktop PC. A lot of the times, you just need to install a $100 or cheaper graphics card to play a lot of games like Counter Strike, League of Legends, Dota 2, etc on most home desktop computers made in the last 5 years or latter. AMD's APU integrated graphics, and Intel's 4000 HD graphics are also good enough for playing a lot of older games if you don't have the money for a better graphics card.

A Fast Gaming Tower PC is also the only device which is currently capable of playing games in 4K resolution at 60 Frames per seconds or higher. But, consoles like the PS4, and Xbox One still display games in 1080P, and sometimes even 720P or lower resolutions, and at lower framerates like 30 Frames per second.

Learning to build a custom computer is easier because of the internet, books on PC building, and newer computer parts which are simpler to install onto a computer's motherboard.

But, I do feel that computers from companies like Dell, HP, and Lenovo will be less common because most people will buy custom built PC, or build a PC themselves to save money, or have a cool looking custom PC with a nice looking case, and better PC parts than most pre-built PCs from a company like Dell, or HP.

Back