froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
FCC prepares to vote in February for a new proposal that would dramatically weaken the definition of broadband. How? Under this new proposal, any area able to obtain wireless speeds of at least 10 Mbps down, 1 Mbps would be deemed good enough for American consumers, pre-empting any need to prod industry to speed up or expand broadband coverage.

The FCC is Preparing to Weaken the Definition of Broadband

The word broadband is not as accurate for describing 10 Mbps down and 1 MBps internet service.

Lovely, but only because that is so that doesn't mean companies will do so.

More like narrowband internet.
I've been at places where they have 15 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up, I thought I'd never get a YouTube video to play. (・_・)

Lovely, but only because that is so that doesn't mean companies will do so.

I think many US ISP may not meet the 10Mbps download and 1Mbps upload for broadband now that the FCC lower the speed requirements to use the word Broadband to describe their 10 Mbps package. ISP may ask for more money for "guaranteed" 10 Mbps service instead of slower internet speeds where the ISP throttle down your internet connection when there are too many people using the internet, or you use too much bandwidth per hour.

More like narrowband internet.
I've been at places where they have 15 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up, I thought I'd never get a YouTube video to play. (・_・)

North American countries like the US and Canada still have 15 Mbps and 5 Mbps up service unless you pay more for faster speeds.

Lowering the video quality settings of the YouTube video to 480P or 360P helps with the slow YouTube video downloading times and buffering on slower connections. If you are mainly listening to the audio of the video, using 144P or 240P is good enough if you don't watch the video and only listen to the video's audio.

I usually put my videos to at least 720p if available, anything below 480p is just too fuzzy.
Especially since the YouTube player as presented on my end is 480 pixels high at the very least, which makes everything below that a pain to watch.

I usually put my videos to at least 720p if available, anything below 480p is just too fuzzy.
Especially since the YouTube player as presented on my end is 480 pixels high at the very least, which makes everything below that a pain to watch.

480P is Standard TV and DVD quality, so the quality can be acceptable to some users when sitting a few feet away from a PC monitor for watching News videos where video quality is less important than movies, anime, and 3D animation.

I sometimes switch the video quality to 720P or 1080P when watching gaming videos, and other more entertainment related videos.

Back