The Future of Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy is one of my most beloved franchises. Started with 5 a long, long time ago and since then FF titles were usually system sellers for me.

In my opinion, FF XV looks like a good game. It just doesn't really look like a Final Fantasy game for me.
The thing was called Versus before and was supposed to be a spin-off, now it's a main series title. This slightly upsets me because, even though I had little hope after XIII and XIII-2, I was still a tiny bit optimistic that once they stop making games about Lightning there's a chance we'd get to see another "classic" Final Fantasy game, maybe even with turn based combat and so on. With Versus now being XV, the "slot" is filled and this is apparently the path FF will tread on from now on.

Well, XV looks more like an action game than anything else, though I suppose it still has some of the elements that make FF what it is, such as the summons (Leviathan was seen) or the magic.

I'm ready to be proven wrong by Square Enix, but their latest track record just isn't the best at all.
I'd sure be happy to have another good Final Fantasy game though and if they can make it work while going full action combat, I'm game :pinch:

I think Square Enix decided to choose an easy way: people will buy anything with "Final Fantasy" written on it, so they don't really need to try hard. If they want to make a new project, they can create it and then just call it Final Fantasy (number) and it'll be a hit. I think that is the case with Final Fantasy XV. As Nzash mentioned, it doesn't look much like a Final Fantasy game. I don't think I'll be buying it, but I know that hordes of people will, even if some hardcore fans are disappointed right now. Anyway, I wonder what the price will be.

Daitai said:
I think Square Enix decided to choose an easy way: people will buy anything with "Final Fantasy" written on it, so they don't really need to try hard. If they want to make a new project, they can create it and then just call it Final Fantasy (number) and it'll be a hit. I think that is the case with Final Fantasy XV. As Nzash mentioned, it doesn't look much like a Final Fantasy game. I don't think I'll be buying it, but I know that hordes of people will, even if some hardcore fans are disappointed right now. Anyway, I wonder what the price will be.
I'll wait to see if I should buy it. I've only played the SNES Final Fantasy games, starting with FFV and never playing anything outside of SNES titles.

Back