The oldest MMO game you've played

tiny

Submerged Toe
Awards
Credits
Many people confuse the term "multiplayer game" with that of "massive multiplayer game". An MMO game consists of an open world, with an environment that allows the world to exist regardless whether there is a room opened for it or not. Examples of MMO games would be World of Warcraft, Star Wars The Old Republic, Tera, Rift, Maple Story and Ragnarok.

Multiplayer games normally exist only if a room is available for players to join. After a minimum set of players join, then the game starts. Examples would be games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Black Ops and League of Legends.

In case you're wondering what does the above have anything to do with the title, the thing is, I needed to set some things straight before asking my next question. ^_^

So with all of that said, what was the oldest MMO game you have ever played? How long did you play it and what attracted you to it?

The oldest MMO game I played was Meridian 59. It was released commercially in 1996. I was 17 at the time. ^_^ Back then, a 3D role playing game with other players was unheard of, especially when 1996 was right at the transitioning stage between BBS' and the internet being used by the public. Mind you, I didn't start playing that game until around 1998. However, I didn't spend too much time on it. I think I played about two months before quitting. I had other things to do at the time besides gaming.

The first MMO that I played was the original Everquest, back in it's glory days in the 90s/early 2k. It was a great game, the community was so wonderful. I don't think I've ever had as much fun with an MMO since then. You know people were polite, helpful, respectful. You enter a zone and you do a shout asking which spawn points were being camped and you DID NOT camp on top of people and try to gank their mobs/loots/quest items. I had SO many wonderful people help me with quests, or COMPLETE strangers just pass by and tell me they had outgrown their items and give them to me for completely free when I was lower level (maybe cuz I'm a girl and white knighting? but I didn't get that vibe) It wasn't all about making money, it was about helping eachother. It also was challenging when I played the game was 2-3 years old already and there was a boss (skeleton type in a crypt somewhere. I think called the sleeper or something) that had NEVER been defeated and only spawned like 2 times a month or something and was super hard. There were other dragons that were hard and took months to defeat etc. I liked that aspect because if you were part of the group to take them down it really truly felt that you had accomplished something. 

Runescape was the first MMO game I played. It was the first game I played on the internet and got me into internet gaming. I can still remember being in 4th grade and logging on to my RS account from school. Its kind of funny looking back and realizing how little I knew about the internet and gaming in general.

Its crazy that I still enjoy going back to it from time to time. Recently just bought a month subscription of RS 2007 and am having a blast. Great nostalgia game and is worth the money for that factor alone.

I was around in the days of Meridan 59 but I never actually played it. I guess the oldest MMO I played was Ultima Online and Asheron's call (and yeaars later EQ 1). Asheron's Call was my first MMORPG and I played that for like 5 years? or so. Originally my brother and I were suppsoed to be picking up EverQuest but we couldn't find it or forgot the name and ended up thinking Asheron's call was the game. So it was a total mistake in the best sort of way because that game was awesome, there has not been an MMO that could touch the beauty of that game. The lore, the dev interaction, the way you could grind mobs for items and xp and find all sorts of secrets within the world.. it was special I miss that game. 

Mine has to be Tibia. It was late 2001, it was my first ever contact with a real-time mmorpg. I was impressed. Really liked it. 
(I also recall trying Ultima Online, but I think Tibia was earlier.)
I went and played Tibia for years, often taking lengthy breaks and but I still have an account there. 

Sadly the game was destroyed by blatant wide-spread botting, gold selling and whatnot. I do have found memories of it, though. Every once in a while, I still log in to check it out, even.

Helbreath. Used to play this for hours and hours, countless nights staying up leveling a character with a friend. It truly was amazing... especially the weekly "city fight" where the 2 factions had to pvp fight each other to accomplish certain objectives and then to destroy the other city. So much fun and quite an advanced game for it's time. Just a lot of grinding involved...

The oldest MMO I ever played is WoW even if it is still quite popular and played nowdays it is the older one I've ever played in my case. I played on a private server of WoW as I wasn't really feeling OK to spend 15€ every month. The graphics, since the games was built in 2004, is really sucky and maybe it was cool back when it was released but now it's really disappointing if you compare it to the other MMOs.

Mine would have to be Phantasy Star Universe, man I loved that game ever since I first played the demo back in 2010. Afterwards I bought it and was overjoyed with how much more the game had to offer over the demo version. I got to play it for a couple of years but unfortunately it closed down once I reached level 132 and to top it all off instead of Sega letting us keep or equipment and worlds areas in offline mode sega just pulled the plug and left the offline mode as is which made me feel like I spent all that time getting rare items,weapons, and clothing for nothing.

Back