Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Nintendo $20 EShop
Nintendo $20 EShop
Mature Board Viewing
PSN Gift Card $20
PSN Gift Card $20
Read from dualshockers on a survey that indicates people over 55 are playing/still playing video games: Nice!

uploads1513974769434-SilverSnipersEsports02.jpg

In a current survey, it has been discovered that 42% of Brits aged 55-64 and over one in four (27%) of the over 65s have enjoyed playing video games in the past five years. The survey of 2,000 adults was commissioned as part of the Must Play May campaign, that highlights the biggest and best games on the market for everyone regardless of age.

So, what do the over-60 enjoy playing the most of? It seems that over 40% love nothing more than jumping into a strategy game to keep the brain active and to relieve stress, whilst 20% enjoy multiplayer games due to wanting to stay involved with their grandchildren and earning some points as “the cool grandparent”.

The survey also provides proof that people don’t grow out of video games once they hit a certain age – it seems that they grow with them and probably more passionately. The old saying that “once a gamer always a gamer” couldn’t be more apparent now as 85% of under 35s and 75% of 35-44-year-olds frequently pick up a controller. With these figures in mind, I think it’s safe to say that these figures will only rise in the future, and to that we applaud.

Some people have the image that the older generation sits around knitting or gardening and whilst some do, a group called the “Silver Snipers” are ready to tear down that out-dated stereotype. This group of five 62 to 81 years old gamers love nothing more than popping some heads together in their very own esports Counter-Strike: Global Offensive team. Their goal is to show that gaming is for the elderly too.

It is good to see that people of all ages are playing video games.

One of the benefits of playing Video Games, it keeps yer brain "young", as mentioned in this article
10 Reasons Why Playing Video Games is Good for Your Brain | Record Head

In a study by the University of California, San Francisco, researchers created a simple driving game where players had to identify road signs while driving around obstacles. When required to multi-task, players of all ages performed worse than when only completing one task. However, those between 60 and 80 years old showed a drop in performance of 64 percent, while younger participants between 20 and 30 years old showed only a 26 percent performance drop. As the older players continued to train with the game, however, they experienced improved multi-tasking abilities, short-term memory and long-term focus. The benefits of playing the video game were so extreme that the older trained players performed better than untrained players in their 20s. Playing video games that require multi-tasking and focus may be a great way to keep your brain young.

I feel gaming is also a good way to deal with boredom which can happen when you are old, and you live alone which may increase the chances of being bored.

I know that there is an old woman that likes to play Skyrim and I believe the developers want to add her to the game at some point. There's also quite a few older people playing Fortnite and streaming which is quite nice to see

Yup yup! Saw William "SyDe" Rochet is still participating in WCG Tournament, But his not that old tho I just saw some articles and comments about him being the French Undead Player. I am also rooting for him :)

Back