The west vs far east; two worlds that will remain forever separated

テクニカル諏訪子

土着神
Full GL Member
Credits
Profile Music
It's not a secret that we have major corporations and political correct politicians that try their hardest to globalise the world.
At the same time, the ordinary people aren't prepared to give up their cultural identities and get one general identity for the entire planet.
There has been some progress in that manner:
  • All of Europe, North America, Australia, and New Zealand are considered "the west".
  • Japan, China, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau (and sometimes Russia and Mongolia too) are considered "far east".
  • The south east of Asia is considered "South East Asia", the entire Muslim world + Israel have their own regional divisions.
  • South America and anything else on the western hemisphere that's not North America is considered "Latin America".
  • Not too sure about central and southern Africa, and the other nations in Oceania.
  • And Russia and India are basically separate groups.
But the biggest differences by far are between the first 2 (the west and far east).
Both are so different, the 2 just can't seem to get a common ground no matter what.
I want to explain here why based on my experience blending in with both.

When I joined the first Japanese Discord server 2 months ago, I was really hoping I could get westerners and Japanese people to communicate with each other.
The people from western servers were deeply divided here, while the people from Japanese servers just didn't want to.

Over the course of 2 months, I gained lots of respect from Japanese people for being able to speak Japanese, and being willing to learn more about the Japanese culture and stuff, despite not being Japanese myself, nor having any mutual or historic connections to Japan.
It made me really happy from the inside, and actually grew accustomed to them.
To such an extend that I even started to view the world like they do.

But the consequences are that I gradually started to join more Japanese servers, and leave more English servers.
This has nothing to do with "weebs" or solith, this has to do with the overall behaviour of the people.
What I considered normal before is what I consider rude now.
It's a bit hard to explain, but I suddenly started to feel that people on western servers were outright rude and discriminatory, despite they never actually changed.

People in the western world are quick to assume I'm some strange weaboo because I can speak Japanese (which is not what it actually means), usually act quite racist when I say something in Japanese just for fun, show a Japanese meme, or whatevs.
None of that exists in any of the Japanese servers, unless they're just joking around.

That way I discovered why the west and the far east will never unite, and thus remain separated forever.
It's because:
  • The west assumes every person on the planet can speak English and is just like the west but with minor differences.
  • The far east gets annoyed by people who assume all of that, because far eastern cultures are much more connected to their cultural identities than western countries are, so disrespect to that is a direct insult to them. Likewise, respect to that makes them very happy.
  • The west believes that westerners mimicking eastern cultures is the same as insulting eastern cultures.
  • The east believes that westerners mimicking eastern cultures is the same as respecting eastern cultures.
  • The west believes that easterners mimicking western cultures is the same as betraying western cultures.
  • The east believes that easterners mimicking western cultures is the same as admiring western cultures.
  • Westerners are individual thinkers; they believe it's better to express your opinion as a person.
  • Easterners are collaborative thinkers; they believe it's better to express your opinion as a group.
This all apart from more specific differences like "lolicon and paedophilia are 2 different things or the same thing" or "should I leave work before or after my boss leaves".

Eventually, this all leads us to the following misconceptions:
  1. The west believes that the east is very racist, dangerous, and ill-minded.
  2. The east believes that the west is very selfish, dangerous, and ill-minded.

What are your thoughts here?
Did it help you understand the differences more, or do you think I'm just crazy?
I did my best to explain everything based on my own experience with both 'worlds' in an as neutral way as possible.

Last edited:
All I can say is, there is too much oil and water in the world. Though I know one day everything will be united, though in what way I can not say.

Does your Discord server have enough users to poll where you can describe people's culture and personality based on which country they live in?

Online communities like Discord, Reddit, Tumblr, etc may not have enough users from different social backgrounds and income levels.

YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter maybe better sites for learning about different countries' personality.

People who travel to different countries, or read a lot of books of different categories, watch a lot of different categirues of movies and tv shows, etc maybe more accepting of different cultures and oeople.

Many westerners enjoy asian pop music like AKB48, SNSD/Girls generation, BTS, Twice, and Big Bang, and watch anime like Pokemon, Dragonball, and Digimon.

I don't manage a Discord server myself, I was writing based on my experience across multiple different ones.
And of course I know Asian media can be very popular in the West sometimes, which is not what I'm referring to.

YouTube doesn't really seem like a good enough platform, knowing it for 11+ years now.
Back when my channel was very popular with Americans, there were tons of spam comments like "FIRST" and "GAY".
Now when my channel is very popular with Japanese, there are barely any comments to begin with.

And when I make a comment on videos from other channels, replies are almost exclusively made to disagree with me, often mixed with insults, but there are occasionally more mature ones as well.
But due to how opinions work across the cultures, none of those are Asian.
Therefore, it still gives me no accurate way to make an opinion about neither side based on YouTube, because on one hand the western replies and initial comments are generally rude with sometimes more professional arguments, and on the other hand the eastern replies are almost non-existent and initial comments are either questions related to the video and/or uploader, or just things like "lol" or "cute".

I notice that certain video categories like teen games like Halo or Call of Duty, technology related to Windows and Apple, guns, cars, and politics on YouTube tend to get more rude comments than video on Linux, cooking, health, and kids toys.

I think some categories of videos get a greater percentage of rude comments, and other categories of videos like Linux videos get more positive comments, or very few comments even if the view count is in the thousands.

Interesting read. Sometimes I think westerners who aren't myself are the problem as a whole. Not necessarily at a personal level. No need to get along with others. Very minimal trust system or not at all. The culture is ruined by a lot of bad apples in mainstream corporate media.

I remember OP’s English getting worse in his most recent threads. It was like after he moved to Japan he became “me no speak English good”.

Who knows what must have triggered that? I am trying not to pin it on anything.

Who knows what must have triggered that? I am trying not to pin it on anything.
I see that a lot with foreign exchange students or people who work abroad. Show off might be too harsh, but it’s silly to see them go “woah, I’ve been here 6 months and I forgot how to speak my native language!”. Yet people live/work in foreign countries for decades and still know their native tongue…

I see that a lot with foreign exchange students or people who work abroad. Show off might be too harsh, but it’s silly to see them go “woah, I’ve been here 6 months and I forgot how to speak my native language!”. Yet people live/work in foreign countries for decades and still know their native tongue…

Oh well! No excuses for making some mistakes on communicating in our local languages.

Those guys are also the ones who act like they're the expert on the country they're temporarily staying in, and usually know the culture and customs better than the locals.

We call them the wannabes here. Those forming too much about what they don't even know.

Back