There May Be PS4 Shortages!

tinfoil said:
I was going to wait a year or 2 for the price to drop any way
Seems like a good plan. You should have seen my face when the PS3 was dropped to like 300 after paying 600 at the start, and that was for the PS3 alone!

The only problem here is you miss out on years of gaming, and by the time you get it the initial titles will have few people playing them online so multiplayer won't really be an option for those.

This isn't the worst thing that could happen.  I mean I'll have The Last of Us, GTA V, and probably 2 out of the 4 major sports games to keep me occupied for a few months.  The only thing I'm afraid of is the fact that all of those people will have had all that extra time with multiplayer and leveled up to a point that I'll get crushed for a good amount of time...

tinfoil said:
I was going to wait a year or 2 for the price to drop any way
Do you think they're going to drop the price that soon?  I feel like they're going to at least wait until xbox drops their price first, plus with the consumer so much in their corner to begin with, I see no reason to drop the price. 

I placed my pre-order for the PS4 online with Amazon almost as soon as I could, in case this happens. While I do want to own the PS4, getting it right away wasn't my primary motivation for the pre-order. I think of pre-orders for high-demand consoles to be an investment. Worst case scenario, I have a launch day PS4. But if the PS4 goes the way of the Wii, where online prices were hitting two and three times the MSRP, I wouldn't hesitate to stick the sucker up on Ebay and buy another once they're available again. I'm not buying it solely to resell, but I certainly wouldn't feel bad about doing it. On my salary it's pretty much going to take from now till launch day to save up for it, and I wouldn't be able to justify keeping something that could bring in a chunk of change for my family.

There are always console shortages.  To an extent, it's done purposefully to keep demand up.  Also if you're looking to make a load of money, camp out for a PS4 on launch and sell it on ebay...People will pay you a hefty penny for it...

Oh wow, i really hope that this is just a marketing thing to make people pre-order the console even more and see how high the numbers can get.
But seeing how the Nintendo Wii also had a shortage problem, everything is possible.

Malachi said:
I placed my pre-order for the PS4 online with Amazon almost as soon as I could, in case this happens. While I do want to own the PS4, getting it right away wasn't my primary motivation for the pre-order. I think of pre-orders for high-demand consoles to be an investment. Worst case scenario, I have a launch day PS4. But if the PS4 goes the way of the Wii, where online prices were hitting two and three times the MSRP, I wouldn't hesitate to stick the sucker up on Ebay and buy another once they're available again. I'm not buying it solely to resell, but I certainly wouldn't feel bad about doing it. On my salary it's pretty much going to take from now till launch day to save up for it, and I wouldn't be able to justify keeping something that could bring in a chunk of change for my family.
Not a bad plan, but I seriously doubt that this is going to be a repeat of the Wii. Sony has the market at this point, and I am sure if they do not already have the capitol to keep up with demand, investors are interested. Potential gamers and gaming news sources are not the only ones paying attention to E3. 

Uzi said:
That's really annoying, I'm not surprised either I just thought they would have learned from their mistakes with PS2 and PS3 shortages... Well, I guess not.
The PS2 shortage resulted from at least one shipment being stopped at the Suez Canal. It was more a shipping than supply issue.

This gives a good idea on how well PS4 is doing pre-sale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHNNhL1v9sY

Back