Thoughts on Attack on Titan?

Dragon Fly

Credits
I've seen first five episodes last year and honestly, I didn't like it much, the animation is surely wonderful, but the story is weird (in a negative sense) and makes it hard to me to relate to the characters.
However, a friend of mine is a huge fan and she keeps bothering me that I should watch the entire series, so I started to rethink my opinion. Would you recommend this title?

I do, but if you can't get into the story then you're better off watching other things.

Well, I was never into it when it came out. It was one of those popular anime that I just didn't really want to get into. I gave it a chance a little while ago, and I thought it was pretty good. If you gave it a chance and it was generally negative for you, well then there's nothing to be done. A general rule for anime watchers is watch 3 episodes at least, if you liked it keep watching, if you didn't, no one's gonna blame you for dropping it.

Well, that's my first thought too. I find it somewhat generic and I couldn't feel any interest in it. But when I read the manga, I'm more hook up in there than the anime.

I enjoyed Attack on Titan because its genre is something that I enjoy, so getting into it was easy. I loved the manga, but the anime was a different deal. The animation, like you noted, is very good, and so is the pacing. The story? Well, if this isn't your type of anime/manga, you will have to be a few episodes in because the story grows on you, it won't capture you right away. As for the movie that came out last year, I'm still a bit hesitant to call it good or faithful to the manga.

I haven't watched it yet, but I really want to, I have heard so many things about it! But not many of there were negative, so I think that I would pay more attention to the story instead of getting trapped on the visual effects. I also have heard that some people end up shocked after seeing it, and I'm not really sure why, I guess that I need to figure out by my own.

As for the movie that came out last year, I'm still a bit hesitant to call it good or faithful to the manga.
They change the story-line and some characters. It's an original story using the same idea and some characters. I didn't like it. But have some good CGI for me.

Advice: Never take friends' recommendations seriously especially when they insist you watch it until you hate it before you even watch it. I realized that when I tried to *make* people watch a show that I liked, they'd come into it in a negative mood and pick all the holes they can find so they can say it's bad and rub it in my face LOL. I'm kind of a bad friend. But when I only mention it every once in a while and then when they're looking for something to watch they remember, oh hey he recommended this and that I better check them out. Only then you'll be safe.

Sorry for the offtopic advice lol, but I felt it was needed because annoying people like me can make people hate good shows. With that said, AoT is special, and I say that because people overrating it creates huge expectations for new watchers who still don't know what it's about. Remember that AoT only blew up because of the first few episodes. They were harsh, emotional, graphic, and created a feeling of connection and sympathy with the characters very early on that many shows fail to do so successfully early on. The later episodes go more in depth about the story.

With that out of the way, let me talk about my own opinion about this anime. It's not a masterpiece, but it gets so damn close. The animation, the sound design and soundtracks, the direction, and the whole production is top notch. Watch the Bluray version if you want to truly enjoy these aspects of the anime (I've watched it at least 3 times, lost count after that). The story builds up the mystery of the titans very well and introduces new mysteries over and over again to keep the viewers intrigued, and succeeded in doing so imo. As the story progresses it becomes less and less about Eren getting revenge for his mother, and more about politics and conspiracy (at least in the manga, and hopefully in Season 2). I often hate when shows have to use teenagers to appeal to a younger audience, and that's what AoT is doing. I would still watch it even if they killed off all the teenage main characters, because the show is not really about them like you'd expect a shounen to be. It's about the much bigger picture about humanity's struggle and fight against a predator.

Sorry, I kept blabbing. Hope this at least encourages you to finish it, because it really is good. :)

I read the first 30 or so chapters of the manga before it became popular. I felt it was generic and boring, and the artwork was bad. I don't know why people like this so much. It's OK, but not amazing.

The show is stupid. Giants attack a city and people die. The story is not worth watching. Honestly, I just don't like it for the concept. This is just my opinion.

Back