Too expensive?

Supply and demand. There's a reason why games from proven franchises (NBA 2k, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, etc) have insanely expensive pre-orders. It's because they have a fanbase that will buy it without much hesitation because they have a track record. If you're like me, someone who has limited budget BUT has a passion for games AND the patience to wait? Be patient and wait maybe about a year, since the value would be significantly lower for games a year after, and with the combination of Steam Sales, you will definitely be looking at at least 50% off, and maybe they even released new DLCs or Game of the Year editions, which would mean your money would be more worth it.

Supply and demand. There's a reason why games from proven franchises (NBA 2k, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, etc) have insanely expensive pre-orders. It's because they have a fanbase that will buy it without much hesitation because they have a track record. If you're like me, someone who has limited budget BUT has a passion for games AND the patience to wait? Be patient and wait maybe about a year, since the value would be significantly lower for games a year after, and with the combination of Steam Sales, you will definitely be looking at at least 50% off, and maybe they even released new DLCs or Game of the Year editions, which would mean your money would be more worth it.

fanbases are very poisonous.

They are too expensive and keeping up with the system demands make them even more expensive. I wish there was a way to get top graphics without needing to spend top dollar for computer hardware. I wonder if there was a way to do that indeed because that would be awesome.

They are too expensive and keeping up with the system demands make them even more expensive. I wish there was a way to get top graphics without needing to spend top dollar for computer hardware. I wonder if there was a way to do that indeed because that would be awesome.
There's a solution to that. Get the top graphics today (I think it's still the GTX 1080 Ti) which has a long lifespan, meaning newer games would always be compatible with, if not under the requirements to play. Investing in a decent to top tier gaming rigs may seem expensive at first, but you do save a lot more in the long run by not upgrading your system little by little when new games become out of reach. A one time big time payment would be better.

I never really bought anything when it first came out. I've always gotten my stuff after it had been out a while. It's usually cheaper if you wait for a little while because it's usually expensive once it first hits the market. Usually they take advantage of people who think they have to have something the minute it comes out.

I never really bought anything when it first came out. I've always gotten my stuff after it had been out a while. It's usually cheaper if you wait for a little while because it's usually expensive once it first hits the market. Usually they take advantage of people who think they have to have something the minute it comes out.
I learned my lesson when I pre-ordered Civilization 6. It was a heaping pile of crap, and all that hype waiting for the time the game unlocks, and I ended up refunding it an hour later. It was disgusting that that game groups itself with classics and amazing games like Civ 3 and 5. It's like Windows; only makes good games every other time. I'll never pre-order after that, and I'll not even purchase that game if it was 99% off.

This is just my personal opinion but I do think that the games are getting extremely expensive. Way over the top. If you compare the quality of the games, how long it takes to finish them, the storylines, ... they just are not worth $60-70, no way. The average wage here is only like 550 euros or something. If you'd want to get newly released games you'd probably go broke pretty quickly.

I do understand why the price went up compared to 10-20 years ago but I still do not see why to this level. In the future, will they cost above 100 euros or what?

I never pre-order games anymore anyway, not only because of the price but because I got disappointed too many times. It isn't worth it. It is better to save the money and wait for sales and discounts. At least those are far more reasonable.

This is just my personal opinion but I do think that the games are getting extremely expensive. Way over the top. If you compare the quality of the games, how long it takes to finish them, the storylines, ... they just are not worth $60-70, no way. The average wage here is only like 550 euros or something. If you'd want to get newly released games you'd probably go broke pretty quickly.

I do understand why the price went up compared to 10-20 years ago but I still do not see why to this level. In the future, will they cost above 100 euros or what?

I never pre-order games anymore anyway, not only because of the price but because I got disappointed too many times. It isn't worth it. It is better to save the money and wait for sales and discounts. At least those are far more reasonable.
It's not about the current price; GTA 5 on sale is still easily $25 for a game that was released in 2013. Some companies do not like giving enough discounts to people and would stick with their high prices, especially bigger company names who have nothing to prove. Games like GTA, Fallout, Assassin's Creed; they never lower their prices compared to other companies and their games. In fact, even Valve's games are 90% off and Portals is nothing more than a dollar.

I do think so too, back then in the PS2 era the games were fairly cheap. Nowadays I can't even buy a game without a discount lmao, it's become so expensive. But then again I guess I can't blame them, games these days take a lot of work to make as it has better graphics, well thought out stories, and a lot of other things to consider, and as much as I'd want a cheaper game I think it's as cheap as it will get considering the quality.

Nowadays all the games that have been released (the most of them) have so high cost and the content it's not worth it at all. When you buy a game right now, you're buying the brand and not the great content, high qualities. That's why I found so hard to buy a game right now.

Of course games are too expensive when compared to past times. The investment and amount of technology needed for making top quality gaming nowadays plays a role. Compared to past times we have a gigantic variety of games available for us to entertain ourselves, so we've become very demanding when it comes to the visual quality in our games, and quality isn't cheap. We demand perfection in graphics, and that costs money, a lot of money, so they sell us a price reasonably enough for them to get their gain.

Games that don't show their investment tend to, generally, sell less and subsequently companies try to increase their price in order to make up for the limited popularity, or have to resort to flat out sell them for less money and accept their economical loss.

The price of console games has surely seen a considerable spike, but I deem it somewhat justifiable: production costs have increased, development teams have enlarged and marketing now plays an even more prominent role. These are all costs that have to be taken into account.
Still, unless you want to play every game you like on day one, you can save quite a bit by waiting for sales. PC gamers have it easy, but even console gamers get their fair share of good deals.

fanbases are very poisonous.
May I ask what make you say that? I don't think that fan bases are always poisons but they can be.

Sometime I think games are expensive but then I wait untill they go on sale where I can get it for 50% of the price. Also if I see the same game on GOG and Steam, I will get the GOG even if it costs more because I know that it would be worth the extra $ to get a DRM free version.

I thought it was already made clear, but games are the cheapest they have ever been in history. You might not personally be able to afford a $60 game, but you have a better shot at it now than anytime in the past. While some games may not be worth that full price tag, you can go through history and find games not worth their full asking price (Superman 64, ET). You can't judge all games by a small sample that doesn't represent the whole. My personal threshold is around $25-$30, but I'm not gonna complain that games are too expensive. I just wait for the sale or price drop and I'm happy.

I thought it was already made clear, but games are the cheapest they have ever been in history. You might not personally be able to afford a $60 game, but you have a better shot at it now than anytime in the past. While some games may not be worth that full price tag, you can go through history and find games not worth their full asking price (Superman 64, ET). You can't judge all games by a small sample that doesn't represent the whole. My personal threshold is around $25-$30, but I'm not gonna complain that games are too expensive. I just wait for the sale or price drop and I'm happy.
Have you seen some games that have DLCs totaling over a thousand dollars? Who would buy all that? More importantly, who would sell at that price? Most of the DLCs are being abused nowadays to be the same price as the actual original games, sometimes even more so. I saw this fighting game (forgot the name) that had DLCs cost over $1000 and it was just purely skins for the characters. Money well spent?

Have you seen some games that have DLCs totaling over a thousand dollars? Who would buy all that? More importantly, who would sell at that price? Most of the DLCs are being abused nowadays to be the same price as the actual original games, sometimes even more so. I saw this fighting game (forgot the name) that had DLCs cost over $1000 and it was just purely skins for the characters. Money well spent?
Like I said, you can't judge the entirety of current games by a small sample with bad DLC practices. If DLC was super popular and all games were nearing $1,000 I'd understand, but I'm not sure which games you are talking about. Besides, DLC has been around for a long time, it just went by the name "Expansion Pack". Also, DLC is optional in most cases.

Like I said, you can't judge the entirety of current games by a small sample with bad DLC practices. If DLC was super popular and all games were nearing $1,000 I'd understand, but I'm not sure which games you are talking about. Besides, DLC has been around for a long time, it just went by the name "Expansion Pack". Also, DLC is optional in most cases.
DLC is optional, sure, but that doesn't stop companies from charging people a ton of money.

DEAD OR ALIVE 5 Last Round: Core Fighters on Steam

Just look at the price for mere skins and costumes for that game. It's more expensive than most AAA titles! Who would pay for that? Why would you pay for that? How is this gaming company still in business after this?

Dead or Alive feeds a very hungry market. I'll let you guess what that market is....

Yeah they are i can't buy overwatch thought it's expensive for me 40 bucks isn't small price

Back