Turn based RPGs

Conker

Awards
Credits
Any fans of turn based  RPGs around here?

I grew up playing Fallout 1 & 2, then the Baldurs Gate series and naturally I got forever hooked on turn based RPGs. I like having the choice to manipulate a battle so a turn based system suits me best. In the same vein, I like games that let me pause the action to select my next move, take the Might and Magic series for example.

In less than a week, Larian's Divine Divinity Original Sin, a turn based RPG, will be released. The games features a highly interactive world, think Ultima 7, with a strong focus on stats. It's one of the games that rise from a successful Kickstarter. Here's the latest trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mea7Pa3rhJU

I kinda grew up on the Might and Magic games haha, but I haven't gotten around to playing HoMM 6. 2 and 3 were awesome, and 5 was pretty good. I guess the Banner Saga could technically count as a turn based RPG? Plan on playing it soon.
Divinity looks pretty good, this the same guys that made torment tides or something I read?

Turn based games are my favorite as well, just a lot of tactics rather than bashing buttons as quickly as possible. However, the variety of such games is pretty slim. Basically the only one that I can say I have really enjoyed, and still play on regularly is FFVII emulator that I downloaded. 

For me Magic the gathering was such a brilliant series but then on late I have completely gone off it and I don't think I will be going back to it anytime soon, just doesn't have the same attraction to me like it used to

Didn't realize Divinity would be turn based. Thanks for the heads up on that one I'll definitely keep an eye out.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the old school RPGs and of course turn based / tactics style games. Final Fantasy Tactics really made me open my eyes as to how great these kinds of games can be. There are also a number of good games on the Game Boy Advance (emulator) like Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics 2 (might have a different name), Tactics Ogre, and a few others.

Banner Saga for the PC isn't half bad, and of course Heroes of Might and Magic series.

richc3 said:
That said, I'm a huge fan of the old school RPGs and of course turn based / tactics style games. Final Fantasy Tactics really made me open my eyes as to how great these kinds of games can be. There are also a number of good games on the Game Boy Advance (emulator) like Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics 2 (might have a different name), Tactics Ogre, and a few others.

Banner Saga for the PC isn't half bad, and of course Heroes of Might and Magic series.
Fire emblem, Knights of Lodis, Pokemon Conquest, Yu Yu Hakusho Tournament Tactics. Those are some of the turn based tactic/strategy games I've played and enjoyed. Hearing that Korra will get a strategy 3ds game made me wonder if it will fit into this vein of gameplay. I would love an Avatar Last Airbender tactic game instead of third person gameplay. Time to throw some boomeraangs.

But these are most likely my favorite kind of game and the only ones I would pick up for handheld in the future. I didn't like Final Fantasy Tactics though, I tried it but couldn't get into it.

I'm a fan of turn-based RPGs as well. I also grew up during a time when turn-based RPGs were the norm. A time when games like Xenogears, Final Fantasy, Guardian's Crusade, and Legend of Dragoon ruled them all. I like turn-based because I also like micro-management. I like being able to control what all of my party members would do in battle. Also, I like the pace of turn-based RPGs. It allows me to think and strategize and not just go around and hack and slash.

I grew up playing final fantasy and breath of fire, so I enjoy turn base RPG.

Fallout 1 and 2 anyone? The second installment in the series must be my favorite game ever! What I love about turn-based strategy games is that the developers put a lot of work into the atmosphere and storyline. Right now the guys from Obisdian are working on Pillars of Eternity, a fresh new breath of air for the TBS genre.

I love turn based games, anything from fallout to final fantasy to anything else for that matter. I wish more of them were coming out these days as I find them nice games to sit and relax with because of the nice music and the laid back gameplay.

Final Fantasy Tactics is my favorite turn based RPG (Although it might not fit that definition exactly?). I am also just a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series although as for the most recent ones I would say that I am less interested. It isn't necessarily the quality of the games though as I find myself enjoying single player games less and less. Final Fantasy 6 was amazing as well!

Even if you're not a Star Wars fan, Knights of the Old Republic fits your description and was absolutely amazing. It was actually what got me to watch the movies.

I like turn based rpgs because it brings me back the the days when there was many of these types of genres. The biggest I can remember is Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy. They were so enjoyable with a decent story to back up the game play. I also like the way that made you think more harder and think more into what the opponent would do instead of today where most games are made with flash decision on the go. If you want to still play turn paced games, you can try Atlantica which is by Nexon. It's pretty good but not the best out there though. 

Back