Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Microsoft and Canonical are, according to a reliable rumour out of ZDNet, working together to bring Ubuntu to Windows 10 desktops including the bash commands and all!

Microsoft and Canonical will not …be integrating Linux per se into Windows. Instead, Ubuntu will primarily run on a foundation of native Windows libraries.

This is both shocking and pretty neat. If you're a solely a GUI user this will pretty much mean little to you, but if you're a cmd freak then this will surely make your day.

I don't exactly see the point of it. If you're a cmd freak, you already have the knowledge to install Ubuntu on your PC and run it without the need of an additional operating system. Why would you want to run it as a part of Windows?

I don't exactly see the point of it. If you're a cmd freak, you already have the knowledge to install Ubuntu on your PC and run it without the need of an additional operating system. Why would you want to run it as a part of Windows?

I think command lines are used very often to remotely control web servers, file servers, and other types of computers which don't have a visual user interface like Windows 10 Home.

Using CMD in Windows can be more convenient if you are already logged into Windows doing a Windows related task like using Microsoft Office, and you get a phone call to remotely run a cmd command to do a task like reboot a server, you can just open the command line program in Windows to run a Ubuntu cmd command.

You would no longer need to switch computers, or restart your dual-boot computer into Ubuntu to use CMD commands.

only thing I can think of is to run linux only programs or just make bash commands usable in windows.

It may also save some time because PC Technicians will no longer need to use Remote Desktop programs or Linux Virtual Machine programs to login to Ubuntu Linux to run Linux commands.

Students may also be more likely to learn Linux command lines if they don't need to install Linux on their PC, and just use Windows 10. Installing Linux can be difficult for beginners because there are still some PC parts like network cards, video cards, and sound cards which don't work in Linux.

It may also save some time because PC Technicians will no longer need to use Remote Desktop programs or Linux Virtual Machine programs to login to Ubuntu Linux to run Linux commands.

Students may also be more likely to learn Linux command lines if they don't need to install Linux on their PC, and just use Windows 10. Installing Linux can be difficult for beginners because there are still some PC parts like network cards, video cards, and sound cards which don't work in Linux.

hardware will always be an issue.

hardware will always be an issue.

Finding skilled programmers to code hardware driver software and firmware for Linux is sometimes a problem, too. Companies like AMD, Nvidia, sound card, and network card companies sometimes take very long to release updated hardware driver which work well in Linux, and some companies just don't release hardware drivers for Linux, and just have hardware drivers for Windows.

Back