Unreal developer blasts Microsoft, claims company wants to monopolize game development

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
In an op/ed for The Guardian, Sweeney describes Microsoft’s actions as an aggressive attempt to lock down the Windows ecosystem, thereby monopolizing both application distribution and commerce. He writes:

Microsoft has launched new PC Windows features exclusively in UWP, and is effectively telling developers you can use these Windows features only if you submit to the control of our locked-down UWP ecosystem. They’re curtailing users’ freedom to install full-featured PC software, and subverting the rights of developers and publishers to maintain a direct relationship with their customers.

Sweeney states that he has no problem with the Windows Store as such, but takes issue with the way Microsoft has locked down the platform. Because Microsoft controls the only distribution point for UWP applications, no other company can offer equivalent software. Side-loading can be enabled, but it’s off by default and could be removed entirely in a future Windows Update.

Read More

I wonder if Microsoft monopolizing PC games will cause more game developers to port their Windows games to Linux, Steam OS, and Android which now has more PC and console games ported to it like Half-Life 2, Grand Theft Auto, Dead Space, Quake 3, and Need for Speed.

I don't get why they are trying to do this when Steam reigns supreme?

I don't get why they are trying to do this when Steam reigns supreme?

I think Microsoft wants to earn more money from PC Games by making it harder or locking out other companies like Steam, GOG, etc from selling games for Windows 8.1, 10, and other Windows OSes sort of like how you can only use the Apple App Store to buy games, apps, and other media files on iPad and iPhone.

I think Microsoft wants to earn more money from PC Games by making it harder or locking out other companies like Steam, GOG, etc from selling games for Windows 8.1, 10, and other Windows OSes sort of like how you can only use the Apple App Store to buy games, apps, and other media files on iPad and iPhone.

I'm a little confused by the quoted article, so I just want to ask a question. Is Microsoft preventing users' from downloading games online and playing them? Or just saying that if the publishers don't submit to the UWP ecosystem, then they can't sell their games in the Window's Store, but could still get them from somewhere else (ie. Steam).

I'm a little confused by the quoted article, so I just want to ask a question. Is Microsoft preventing users' from downloading games online and playing them? Or just saying that if the publishers don't submit to the UWP ecosystem, then they can't sell their games in the Window's Store, but could still get them from somewhere else (ie. Steam).

I think the article is talking about game makers who submit their games to the Windows Store UWP ecosystem can't publish their games outside of the Windows Store like selling the game on their own website, Steam, GOG, and on a physical disc at a store because there is UWP software on UWP preventing users, and game makers from buying and selling the same games outside of the Windows Store.

I think the article is talking about game makers who submit their games to the Windows Store UWP ecosystem can't publish their games outside of the Windows Store like selling the game on their own website, Steam, GOG, and on a physical disc at a store because there is UWP software on UWP preventing users, and game makers from buying and selling the same games outside of the Windows Store.
What does UWP mean?

Ah, well if that is the case they aren't necessarily going to hurt their usage of OS but people won't bother using the Windows store as it won't have any great apps on it. I could see a lot of developers just keeping their content off of it and available elsewhere.

Back