Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Video game legend, Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda has announced that he is retiring from his position as head of Nintendo's game design department, "to work on smaller, more personal projects," within the company, according to an interview with

“Inside our office, I’ve been recently declaring, ‘I’m going to retire, I’m going to retire,’” Miyamoto said through his interpreter. “I’m not saying that I’m going to retire from game development altogether. What I mean by retiring is, retiring from my current position.” He went on to say that he's taking a leave from supervising massive games like The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword to work on projects that won't take as long to complete.

"What I really want to do is be in the forefront of game development once again myself,” Miyamoto said. “Probably working on a smaller project with even younger developers. Or I might be interested in making something that I can make myself, by myself. Something really small.” He hopes that this small project will start in 2012.

The reasoning behind Miyamoto's retirement is entirely selfless. He wants to send a message that he won't always be around for younger developers to rely on. “The reason why I’m stressing that is that unless I say that I’m retiring, I cannot nurture the young developers,” he said. “After all, if I’m there in my position as it is, then there’s always kind of a relationship. And the young guys are always kind of in a situation where they have to listen to my ideas. But I need some people who are growing up much more than today.”

While we wish all the best for Shigeru Miyamoto in the future, we have to wonder if his retirement is coming because Nintendo has lost so much money this year and he wants to move on to bigger and possibly better things. And now that the face of Nintendo is leaving the company, how much water are they going to be in? Hopefully they'll be okay without one of the men that started it all.

source

I only fear this is the start, many of the golden game makers are sure to retire in the coming years.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! What's going to happen to the games now?!

damn news people, jump to conclusions. update:

UPDATE 10:14am GMT 12/8/11

An official statement has been issued by Nintendo:

"Video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto's role at Nintendo is not changing. He will continue to be a driving force in Nintendo's development efforts. In discussing his priorities at Nintendo in a media interview, Mr. Miyamoto explained how he is encouraging the younger developers at the company to take more initiative and responsibility for developing software. He attempted to convey his priorities moving forward, inclusive of overseeing all video game development and ensuring the quality of all products. Mr. Miyamoto also discussed his desire to pursue fresh ideas and experiences of the kind that sparked his initial interest in video games."

UPDATE 12:55am PST 12/8/11

More clarity on Miyamoto's role comes courtesy of Bloomberg Japan.

According to a Nintendo representative, Miyamoto will be focusing more of his attention on training younger developers. This will result in him "reducing his involvement" on game development, but he will still focus in on major titles. Miyamoto is not leaving his current post as the director and manager of EAD.

UPDATE 12:10am PST 12/8/11

Contacted by Reuters Japan, Nintendo is denying a report from Wired that Shigeru Miyamoto is stepping down from his current role as Senior Managing Director and General Manager of Nintendo's Entertainment Analysis and Development Division.

"This is absolutely not true. There seems to have been a misunderstanding. [Miyamoto] has said all along that he wants to train the younger generation. He has no intention of stepping down. Please do not be concerned," a Nintendo of Japan spokeswoman told Reuters.

Nintendo's stock had dropped 2% by the close of trading on Thursday in Japan.

source

Back