Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
One of the PlayStation Vita's most promising features is the ability to buy games on the go, but new reports indicate that game downloads may actually be limited.

According to ASCII (via Andriasang), a representative from Sony Japan has confirmed that the Vita will initially be limited to 20MB for 3G downloads.

This limit is somewhat standard in 3G downloads, as Apple's App Store is currently capped at the same amount. This means that full game downloads will likely only be possible via WiFi since PSP game file sizes are often over 1 GB.

The representative added that download sizes could increase later in the system's life, and that both 3G and WiFi users will have access to the PlayStation Store for purchases.

source

Not too sure about my thoughts on this.

Strange, I always thought Cellular Caps for 3G, 4G, and GSM was controlled by AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, Verizon and other mobile service companies.

I think this might me mostly for people who want to use free 3G internet from Verizon similar to how the Google Chrome OS has a monthly allowance of 100MB free from Verizon, but if you want more then 100MB you have to pay 50 dollars for 5GB of data (30 days) from Verizon.

I think there might be a similar offer to allow you to buy more bandwidth for Vita from Verizon and other cellular companies.

The cap for Verizon and AT&T is 2GB, T-Mobile and Sprint is unlimited, but the company decides on their phones, and Apple and Android's have a 20MB download cap.

I guest if you want to have more bandwidth you need to subscribe to mobile WiFi like the Verizon 4G MyFi which lets you bring the internet with you where ever you go, or use your smart phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot with a App to download more then 20MB.

Wow, i kinda saw this coming, downloading huge games through 3G connections would kill the service providers. Depending on sales of course :p
I really hope this does improve over the life of the product.
But then again, WIFI is everywhere now adays, so it wont effect many of us...
Almost everywhere i go, either theres a public wifi, or a private one i have access to :)

confirmed:

According to Gamespot, the download limit has now been confirmed for North America.

Speaking at a GDC Online sponsored session yesterday, SCEA engineer Chris Norden revealed that North American PlayStation Vita owners will be limited to downloads of 20MB or less over 3G.

Norden added that Vita games will be between 2GB and 4GB, which means that full game downloads from the PlayStation Store will not be possible over 3G. Instead, the downloads must be performed over WiFi.

more here

I gotta say though, it's a good idea. If the cap was 5GB, and people were downloading that all the time, oh boy would the servers be slow and SUCK.

Back