Valve Introduces New Steam Family Game Sharing Program

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Username Style

Valve has announced Steam Families, a revamped program that allows players to create a group to share and play games with close family members. The program launches today in the Steam Beta Client and it replaces the Steam Family Sharing and Steam Family View features.

Steam Families can have up to six members, and joining gives you access to any sharable games in each member's library. “Sharable games” is an important distinction, as Family Sharing is a feature that any developer can choose to opt out of for any reason at any time. Some games are also ineligible for sharing due to technical reasons.

Noteworthy games currently eligible for Family Sharing include Helldivers 2, Baldur's Gate 3, Balatro, Cyberpunk 2077, Elden Ring, and Hogwarts Legacy. You can read the full list here.

While playing a game that a family member owns, you will create your own save files, earn your own achievements, and have access to workshop files, among other features. When you purchase a game, it still remains in your ownership and only appears in your own library.

Two members cannot play one copy of a game at the same time. For example, if two members want to play co-op using Member 1’s copy of Helldivers 2, Member 2 will either have to buy their own copy or play another copy owned by a different member in the family.

This is terrible for people with online games. One user gets banned and the rest have to pay for it.

I think its as great idea, why shouldn't you be able to share digital products. You used to be able to share back in the day when games used to be on CD. My god am I that old lol.

Steam Family Game Sharing Program looks like a nice program for families who want to save money by sharing their paid games.

Back