Verizon’s open to the idea of buying Yahoo

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Yahoo’s board has reportedly been in talks about the future of the company, and that future could involve a big sale. Whether it comes to that is yet to be seen, as Yahoo hasn’t provided any official statement on the matter. Verizon, however, is open to the idea of acquiring Yahoo if the latter company decides to sell and, more importantly, if the "deal made sense” for the service provider.

Read More

I wonder, if Verizon will start charging money to use Yahoo Mail, and Messenger if they bought Yahoo.

I had no idea that Verizon had more money than Yahoo!. Isn't Verizon just a telecommunications company?

Verizon owns AOL, so Verizon can sell AOL, and use the money from selling AOL to buy Yahoo. Verizon can always take out a large loan from a bank.

But, I got a feeling Verizon will try to buy Yahoo for a lower price than Yahoo actual value, and Yahoo will refuse Verizon's lower price offer unless Yahoo is desperate for cash like Tumblr, and other sites which got sold to bigger companies like Yahoo.

Verizon is a service provider for phone, cell phone provider, and Internet. It also owns AOL.

I'm pretty screwed if Yahoo mail becomes paid, which I doubt it happen but you never know.

I'm pretty screwed if Yahoo mail becomes paid, which I doubt it happen but you never know.

Same for me, I use my Yahoo mail account a lot to sign-up for forums, social networks, and other e-mail services like gmail, outlook, etc. I would have to change my contact info for e-mail address on a lot of my forum, social network, and other web accounts.

I think Yahoo Mail is unlikely to be paid because Yahoo Mail will lose advertisin money if fewer people use their e-mail service. I bet, Yahoo Mail probably makes billions of dollars from ads, and sponsored posts on Yahoo Mail like how gmail makes billions of dollars from Adsense and Adwords ads.

Same for me, I use my Yahoo mail account a lot to sign-up for forums, social networks, and other e-mail services like gmail, outlook, etc. I would have to change my contact info for e-mail address on a lot of my forum, social network, and other web accounts.

I think Yahoo Mail is unlikely to be paid because Yahoo Mail will lose advertisin money if fewer people use their e-mail service. I bet, Yahoo Mail probably makes billions of dollars from ads, and sponsored posts on Yahoo Mail like how gmail makes billions of dollars from Adsense and Adwords ads.

only time will tell, though the risk of it being shut down all together is a possibility as well.

I agree, if Yahoo! Mail becomes paid, there would be a lot of angry people.

Making Yahoo mail paid will also decrease Yahoo website traffic since many people go to Yahoo on a daily or weekly basis to only check e-mail, and access other Yahoo sites by clicking on Yahoo links on Yahoo Mail.

Who would be interested in buying AOL?

AOL owns a lot of big News blogs like TechCrunch, The Huffington Post, Engadget, etc, so other news companies like Fox, CNN, NBC, etc could be interested in AOL because of AOL large amount of content on their many big news blogs.

I think AOL still earn a lot of money from Dial-up internet because a lot of poor people, and people who live in small towns still rely on dial-up for internet because there is no affordable high speed internet alternatives, so Telephone and Internet Service Providers like AT&T maybe interested in AOL's dial-up business.

Back