Wait, how is Mario about 26 again?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Given that his original Japanese 'name' basically meant 'middle aged man', something seems kind of off about the Smash Bros Melee trophy saying he was 26 years old (in the Japanese version).

http://themushroomkingdom.net/ssbm_j2e.shtml

Is 26 what they consider middle aged in Japan or something? Cause goodness, if so, a lot of us older members here must be getting on a bit now...

Or is just them saying he's as old as his franchise in some meta way? Cause I'm pretty sure that kind of thing has happened in other media too, the UK Dennis the Menace supposedly celebrated his 50th birthday in one of the comics (the character had been in print for 50 years at that point).

What do you think?

Well Nintendo has done many things like this before like in the pokemon anime hold is Ash Ketchum? 10 yup still 10 many people have tried to explain this but only came out with theories there is a video about it to I'll post the link later as well but back to the main topic apparently the rules of time really don't apply to our favorite characters so basically what I'm saying is when I'm like 60 years old I'll turn on the television and see Ash Ketchum 10 years old while I'm growing old with back pain and complain "How did I enjoy this trash?" So the true question is will Mario actually never age? Well that's for Nintendo to say but until then.
Best Wishes - Shade

Yoshi is genderless? Huh...

I guess that's why people ship Yoshi with Birdo because Birdo is genderless... or was Birdo confirmed as both? I don't remember.

Well Nintendo has done many things like this before like in the pokemon anime hold is Ash Ketchum? 10 yup still 10 many people have tried to explain this but only came out with theories there is a video about it to I'll post the link later as well but back to the main topic apparently the rules of time really don't apply to our favorite characters so basically what I'm saying is when I'm like 60 years old I'll turn on the television and see Ash Ketchum 10 years old while I'm growing old with back pain and complain "How did I enjoy this trash?" So the true question is will Mario actually never age? Well that's for Nintendo to say but until then.
Best Wishes - Shade

Ash Ketchum has always been 10 years old, except for the two times where the narrator says, "It has been a whole year since Ash Ketchum started his journey" (or something like that), and then he said something again where he said that Ash is now 11 so... Continuity errors.

Anyway there's no way Mario is 26. That's no humanly possible... or should say monkey-ly possible? Anytime I talk about this, I always bring up this fact. Mario had a rivalry with Donkey Kong. That Donkey Kong grew up to be Cranky Kong. Donkey Kong Jr. grew up to be the father of the current Donkey Kong. This is confirmed because, even with my very little Donkey Kong Country knowledge, Cranky Kong is the current DK's grandfather.

That would mean that Mario would have to live to see DK grow up into Cranky Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. grow up, have a son, and wait for that son to go grow up into the Donkey that we have now. That would mean that Mario is at least 60 or 70. Because I don't know any about monkey biology or how long it takes for them to age, but I know they're close to humans and a assuming that Mario was at least 20 by the time Donkey Kong happened, then yeah he would be 60 or 70, maybe even 80 with this logic.

Ah I love the smell of continuity errors in the morning.

I agree especially ones that fall in lava, eat poisonous mushrooms, and shoots fire from his hands so benoit is probably right.

I noticed that in the 90s some characters would have birthdate under data. For example for Darkstalkers, B.B. Hood was born in 1979 according to the manual. It would kinda be a continuity error now because shed be like 34 i think, and she still looks the same. Whats happening now to some franchises is that characters are placed in timeless events. This is whats happening now, and that way they can avoid things like ash's age. if anything Mario will always be "about 26"

Good to know theres finally some kind of age for him.

I guess that's why people ship Yoshi with Birdo because Birdo is genderless... or was Birdo confirmed as both? I don't remember.

It's a difficult subject because Birdos are also a type of species. There's not just one Birdo. There are lots of different ones, even in different colors. Kinda like the Yoshi's.

So if we are talking about Birdo then...which Birdo are we talking about? Is the pink Birdo in Super Mario Bros. 2 the same person as the one in Mario Kart DD for example?

It's true, the very first Birdo in SMB2 was a boy who thinks he is or wanted to be a girl (according to the manual) but is that still true for the Birdo we see in other games?

I mean, they can't ALL be transgender/gender confused.

It's a difficult subject because Birdos are also a type of species. There's not just one Birdo. There are lots of different ones, even in different colors. Kinda like the Yoshi's.

So if we are talking about Birdo then...which Birdo are we talking about? Is the pink Birdo in Super Mario Bros. 2 the same person as the one in Mario Kart DD for example?

It's true, the very first Birdo in SMB2 was a boy who thinks he is or wanted to be a girl (according to the manual) but is that still true for the Birdo we see in other games?

I mean, they can't ALL be transgender/gender confused.

Oh yeah. I forgot there are different Birdos. Like the green one. I guess they all can't be, but hey who knows what's going on in their heads over at Nintendo.

In a way, I don't see it as too much of an issue for him to be twenty six. Twenty six is still young, but not old, so my guess is Nintendo is trying to keep Mario somewhat young.

I don't see 26 as being old. If you're 14 or 15 years old, you might think 26 is old maybe. I wouldn't call 26 middle age. To me, middle age would be somewhere in the 40's or 50's.

Back