Walmart selling unplayable games?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
https://archive.is/v7FsO

I mean literally. They're selling 'games' for which the only gameplay was online and the servers have since been shut down, basically rendering them a useless plastic disc. That seems pretty dodgy if you ask me, and quite probably some sort of false advertising.

But yeah, thoughts on this?

How would Walmart know? They're not a gaming-centric store, don't have any built in way to 'check game servers', and unless the producers of the game sent them notice, they'd have no idea. A couple people telling a few associates in a store or two wouldn't do anything anyway, the people working in the stores have literally nothing to do with what's being sold. I dunno if I'd trust the person in the article, or whatever random associate he supposedly spoke with about 'hearing from corporate' anyway; seems an easy way to slander a large company online (Not that Walmart doesn't deserve it) when it's likely they are just unaware. Heck, whatever store associate they spoke with was probably lying when an angry customer rolled up and started bitching at him about something he literally had no control over; I had to do the same thing when I worked at Walmart all the time. I mean, yeah, it's crappy, but you couldn't exactly expect Walmart to keep up with this sort of information anyway. Seems more like an honest mistake.

Besides, some of the fault lies with the people buying the game to begin with. You should always do a bit of research before buying anything that costs any amount of money you'd be unhappy to lose if it sucks. A quick internet search would immediately show that the servers are down most likely. I have little sympathy for kids who weren't/aren't being taught to look into things before they buy because it's a good skill to have, or adults who just can't be bothered when buying for a child, because that's just a terrible practice to keep. I mean, this clearly being an unusable product is probably stretching the 'look before you leap' idea a bit thin- but at the same time, why didn't you?

That's why online only games shouldn't be made...

Well yes. Agree 100% with that.

How would Walmart know? They're not a gaming-centric store, don't have any built in way to 'check game servers', and unless the producers of the game sent them notice, they'd have no idea. A couple people telling a few associates in a store or two wouldn't do anything anyway, the people working in the stores have literally nothing to do with what's being sold. I dunno if I'd trust the person in the article, or whatever random associate he supposedly spoke with about 'hearing from corporate' anyway; seems an easy way to slander a large company online (Not that Walmart doesn't deserve it) when it's likely they are just unaware. Heck, whatever store associate they spoke with was probably lying when an angry customer rolled up and started bitching at him about something he literally had no control over; I had to do the same thing when I worked at Walmart all the time. I mean, yeah, it's crappy, but you couldn't exactly expect Walmart to keep up with this sort of information anyway. Seems more like an honest mistake.

Besides, some of the fault lies with the people buying the game to begin with. You should always do a bit of research before buying anything that costs any amount of money you'd be unhappy to lose if it sucks. A quick internet search would immediately show that the servers are down most likely. I have little sympathy for kids who weren't/aren't being taught to look into things before they buy because it's a good skill to have, or adults who just can't be bothered when buying for a child, because that's just a terrible practice to keep. I mean, this clearly being an unusable product is probably stretching the 'look before you leap' idea a bit thin- but at the same time, why didn't you?

It's still likely false advertising or something similar, and possibly grounds for a lawsuit.

It's still likely false advertising or something similar, and possibly grounds for a lawsuit.
I doubt they'd have a case for false advertising so long as the product people are buying is being purchased for the advertised price. The game still WORKS, technically, and any outside problems with said game are do to outside forces beyond Walmart's control. It's shady as hell if corporate does know, but I don't think any lawsuit against them would succeed.

I agree that it was mostly an honest mistake out of ignorance than purposeful deceiving. However I disagree that the fault should even partially be down on the customer. I think as a corporation now taht the issue has been brought up they have the responsibility to act accordingly. I won't blame them for the initial sales in ignorance but I will hold them responsible if they continue selling despite being fully aware that MAG for the PS3 has been unplayable for over two years. Sure, an informed customer can potentially avoid situations like this but we should draw the line. Buying a product that doesn't operate the way we think is one thing but paying money for a product that is unusable is inexcusable, in no way should a customer held responsible for obtaining a product that doesn't work. I just can't agree. If they are selling a game that cannot be played and this is something that can be proved then Walmart should pull them out of the shelves. If people come to refund I hope they follow. Otherwise it is just a new level of low if we all just calmly accept this is okay to happen and the victims deserved it anyway. It is also bagging every customer in the same bag.
Some could grab them in a whim seeming fun and a cheap. I am pretty sure most gamers have done taht mistake at some point.
Some could have researched what we usually do, what is the game about and stuff. Would you really have a reason to even consider the possibility of the server being down if it is a game that is being sold at your local retail store.

I do feel it for Walmart Retail workers as they have no control over the superior decisions and are the ones that have to deal with this issue. I honestly don't think Walmart won't accept refunding the game given the situation with the product is something out of the ordinary

Back