Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
And the situation is getting worse.

There were predictions that the fast-spreading "WannaCry " (aka "WannaCrypt") ransomware would quickly evolve to get around its domain-based kill switch, and, well... the predictions were right. Security researchers have discovered variants of the Windows malware that either have different kill switches (easy to stop by purchasing the web domain) or don't have a kill switch at all. MalwareTech's initial findings might have stopped the original WannaCry in its tracks, but that was really just a speed bump for malicious coders.

Read More

This is not good. Attempting to kill the ransomware may make more ransomware makers spend more time modifying the ransomware which makes it harder to kill.

The domain-name kill switch may of been used to trick regular users into thinking the WannaCry ransomware is dead, so it is safe again to open random e-mail attachments from strangers and click on unknown links in Windows. But, it is never safe to open random e-mail attachments and click on unknown links because of the possibility of virus infection,

If you have important data on your hard drive, I think it is best to unplug your PC from the internet, and backup your data to an external hard drive, and DVD-R, Blu-Ray-R disc, and print out important documents and photos which you don't want to lose.

Something like this will get worse before getting better. Speaking of which this reminds me I need to back up my stuff.

Something like this will get worse before getting better. Speaking of which this reminds me I need to back up my stuff.

I agree WannaCry and other Ransomware would get worse since there are a lot of ransomware makers exploiting the WannaCry security vulnerabilities, and many other discovered and undiscovered security vulnerabilities in Windows, other operating systenms, web browsers, e-mail clients, online games, other programs, and hardware firmware.

Ransomware is here to stay for a long time, and there would be users who will have their files and computers locked by ransomware because of an unpactched security vulnerability in their operating system, software, and hardware firmware and drivers. Some people are also less careful when opening files, and unlucky, and they end up opening ransomware which is hidden inside a PDF, Document file, and website. Some People sometimes accidentally send ransomware with other people they know by sharing files like documents with their co-workers, family, and friends by e-mail, and online storage websites.

It is a good time to keep many offline backups of your important files.

We had a bunch of calls today in our tech center with old people concerned about this. I basically told them to come in and make sure everything is up to date, but really you can't do much against this but hope.

At least, all this WannaCry news coverage on mainstream media TV news channel is making older PC users more aware that there is a chance their computers can get infected by ransomware, virus, and malware programs if they don't keep Windows, Antivirus, and other software up to date, and do unsafe tasks like opening e-mail attachments from strangers, installing random software from unsafe websites and clicking on unsafe links inside of e-mail, websites, and files can cause their PC to get infected with ransomware.

Less tech savvy PC users hiring a computer repair technician to secure Windows can be a good idea if they think their computer is infected with ransomware, or vulnerable to ransomware. Most computer repair stores can check to see if the software firewall, and antivirus is up to date, and working properly in Windows.

Sometimes less tech savvy users maybe using fake antivirus, and security programs which cause more problems, and does not protect their PC, so a computer technician can also install a better antivirus and firewall on their PC.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the older folks are just scared at this point.

Mainstream TV news, and some online news websites which many old people read sometimes use scary looking video, pictures, and interview computer security workers who are overly dramatic instead of calmly explaining "What is ransomware, how to prevent it from infecting a PC, and who can help them fix their infected computers?"

I think the news is scaring older folks into being scared at all times that their files would be locked.

Back