Was Final Fantasy 7's remake Sony's best announcement?

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Well, was it?

Or did you think one of the other announcements in their presentation was better than it?

I've never played FF7 or Shenmue so my excitement for them is pretty minimal. I was glad to see The Last Guardian is still alive though. Unfortunately, we don't know when any of those games are coming out. Sony delivered a lot of promises but it is gonna require a lot of waiting.

It most definitely was. It was what fans of the series had been waiting for and asking for since the PS2's release. I'm glad it is being made but reserving judgement and excitement until I see what changes they do, if any, and whether it is getting a full graphical overhaul or if they are simply going to do what they did with the PSX ports of FF6 and such; simply give them better high-end FMV cutscenes and keep the in-game original. Most likely they will use FF15's graphics system since the character models are similar already - up to the outfits and swords on their backs.

It most definitely was. It was what fans of the series had been waiting for and asking for since the PS2's release. I'm glad it is being made but reserving judgement and excitement until I see what changes they do, if any, and whether it is getting a full graphical overhaul or if they are simply going to do what they did with the PSX ports of FF6 and such; simply give them better high-end FMV cutscenes and keep the in-game original. Most likely they will use FF15's graphics system since the character models are similar already - up to the outfits and swords on their backs.
It is a complete graphical rehaul and it will no longer feature turn based combat.

http://www.vg247.com/2015/06/18/ff7-remake-we-dont-need-two-of-the-same-thing-says-nomura/
“We can’t have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn,” Nomura said.

There were lots of things I saw during their presentation I was interested in, but yeah, FF7 was the only one I REMEMBER. Well that, and the game with the giant robot dinosaur monsters and the woman shooting them with a badass bow. That looked super cool too, but FF7 kind of stole the show for me. I didn't realize what it was at first, but my husband did- I guess it played some musical note and he was immediately like "OMG No. It can't be. Is it?" -Cue Cloud with Giant Sword- *Excited Squeals* I never played the original, so I'm excited for this one!

There were lots of things I saw during their presentation I was interested in, but yeah, FF7 was the only one I REMEMBER. Well that, and the game with the giant robot dinosaur monsters and the woman shooting them with a badass bow. That looked super cool too, but FF7 kind of stole the show for me. I didn't realize what it was at first, but my husband did- I guess it played some musical note and he was immediately like "OMG No. It can't be. Is it?" -Cue Cloud with Giant Sword- *Excited Squeals* I never played the original, so I'm excited for this one!
Yeah, lol, the first three chords from "Opening Them and Bombing Mission" are iconic to any FF7 fan. Also, the game you mentioned that was like Turok fighting DinoBot was Horizon: Zero Dawn.

So, I re-read the link Ben posted and it doesn't say the battle system will be real-time, just changed a bit so the characters do not line up. He also says "Don't worry, the changes won't be too severe" so it could simply be just how it looks during combat.

So that's kind of vague. What is being updated/changed exactly, bar aesthetics? What's changing about the combat?

So that's kind of vague. What is being updated/changed exactly, bar aesthetics? What's changing about the combat?
I don't think anyone knows yet, the way they're talking about the remake (It's so nice that it's an actual remake and not just a remaster) it's still really, really early in development. Like, they've just started kind of early, from what 'd read at least.

I was happy to see the FFVII remake but I didn't watch the show. I tend to wait until the game is release before I pass judgement on it, people are too quick to moan and things they see in trailers now a days. I'm not sure how I feel about the removal of turn based combat (I prefer the older series) but I'll wait and see what they release. As long as it's a good combat system I'll be able to live with it.

I was happy to see the FFVII remake but I didn't watch the show. I tend to wait until the game is release before I pass judgement on it, people are too quick to moan and things they see in trailers now a days. I'm not sure how I feel about the removal of turn based combat (I prefer the older series) but I'll wait and see what they release. As long as it's a good combat system I'll be able to live with it.

I do personally hope they include the old battle system and a new one and give players a choice. I feel its the only way to please the fans.

I personally didn't feel one way or the other. It's a very old game that was important for its time. I don't think that its remake would garner the same amount of success as it originally did. By all means, update the graphics and balance out the general difficulty level. Otherwise, there isn't much else to improve on to remain faithful to the original. The story is quite convoluted and ridiculous, but it wouldn't be Final Fantasy VII anymore with a different story.

Back