Website builder Wix acquires art community DeviantArt for $36 Million

What is the point? Isn't Wix a website making company for people who don't know how to use HTML/PHP? I don't' know what their plans are for Deviantart. These type of acquisitions never end well for the users, only for the company.

What is the point? Isn't Wix a website making company for people who don't know how to use HTML/PHP? I don't' know what their plans are for Deviantart. These type of acquisitions never end well for the users, only for the company.

Users are sure to be screwed.

Users are sure to be screwed.

I agree, users are usually screwed. But, finding a new owner can be better than the original owner running DeviantArt if the original owner and his staff are no longer interested in running DeviantArt anymore where the site eventually becomes less popular, or closed down like Geocities where Yahoo deleted tons of Geocities websites, and closed down Geocities.

I agree, users are usually screwed. But, finding a new owner can be better than the original owner running DeviantArt if the original owner and his staff are no longer interested in running DeviantArt anymore where the site eventually becomes less popular, or closed down like Geocities where Yahoo deleted tons of Geocities websites, and closed down Geocities.

I still miss geocities, hopefully DA doesn't go down that path.

I still miss geocities, hopefully DA doesn't go down that path.

I miss Geocities as well. Geocities had some pretty good fan pages for older video games, and hobbies like cartoons.

At least, Deviant Art was not bought by Yahoo which has a reputation of ruining online communities like Yahoo Groups, Yahoo Messenger, Tumblr, Geocities,Yahoo Games, Yahoo Chatroom, and Yahooligan which are now all less active, closed down, or becoming worse.

DA has a replacement site, but its all in Japanese.

The replacement site can always look for volunteer Japanese to English Translator like people who sub fanmade anime.

But, I think it is more likely members will move on to other English picture sharing sites like Pinterest, Instagram, and blogging sites.

Back