Well Capcom, that Mercenaries save data stuff was a really bad idea now...

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-Mercenaries-Nintendo-3DS/product-reviews/B002I0GKA4/ref=dp_db_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

First up, the rating on Amazon is now at about 1 and a half stars out of five. With 46 1 star reviews. Yeah, those consumers aren't impressed in general, are they?

http://www.vooks.net/story-20260-EB-Games-Australia-recalling-Mercenaries-from-sale-over-save-file-debacle.html

Then EB Games issued a recall and said they won't sell the game new. Goodbye Australian buyers.

Then GameFly announces they won't rent the game:

http://www.gamefly.com/game/nintendo-3ds/Resident-Evil-The-Mercenaries-3D/146300/

And now... GameStop won't accept trade ins of the game:

http://videogamewriters.com/gamestop-refuses-to-accept-trade-ins-for-resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d-14903

Well Capcom, you really screwed up this one. Now stores have declined to sell the game, others to rent or trade in the game, people have started boycotting the game and a few people like Sean Malstrom are saying it's the arrogance of the video games industry and that Capcom are basically morons. I expect Capcom to either:

1. Call for the resignation of who's responsible
2. Recall the game and announce a new way to delete save files

How much do you bet I'm right?

1 Nin, 0 Capcom.

Yeah..... it was a Bad idea... but hey, look at the bright side, this won't inspire other gaming creators to do the same.

Yep, just knew this was not going to turn out well.

Just as I said in the other thread, I myself also had to notify all our stores to prevent buy backs and open returns. Capcom's tactic to prevent used sales is obviously working but this will affect future customer relations negatively if this isn't stopped.

What if they just release an update? They can do that now... and make a v1.1 version? One that already has the feature enabled? Come on
tongue.gif

What exactly is the save data problem?
Basically Capcom is restricting one save file per cartridge. So if you decide to replay the game from the beginning unfortunately you can't. There is no way to erase the file, not even an option to do so. So you can't pass along the game to a friend or family member and trade the game to a store or sale to someone who wants it.

Of course, if you planned to buy the game and forever have it in your collection then it shouldn't be a problem. It's just the DRM decision made by Capcom that's really upsetting many, including myself.

And what, now, have we learned today, Mr. Capcom?
Yes, "bad things happen when you do stupid things". Good for you.

Wait a second... what if you turned the power off while the game was saving? MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The upside of this is that any other companies looking to squash the used-game market will be slightly deterred.

Companies like EA (and others) have made it so that, with some, games bought new come with a free online pass. But, people who buy a used copy don't get an online pass and end up having to buy one through Live or the PSN. It's not nearly as dumb as Capcom's tactic. Actually, EA's tactic is smart on their end. It doesn't really hurt the gamer in the long run, but unfortunately the gamer misses out on the used price since they end up paying just as much as they would have for a new game. So, it still bugs me as I buy most of my stuff used. But Capcom seems to have tried a different approach, and it hurt their sales in the end.

So, at least this is a learning experience for them. They've made an example of themselves, and I doubt we'll be seeing anything like this again for a long while.

I'm glad that this is blowing up in Capcom's face. Owners of the game should have full control over how they manage save files.

But I'm also glad that I picked up the game. This game has some really impressive visuals and the gameplay is as fun as it is on the console versions. The 3D effect while aiming with a rifle is especially cool & immersive.

Luckily this is not the kind of game that I'd delete my save file on so this whole fiasco hasn't affected my experience in the slightest. Happy with the way this played out and just as happy with my purchase.

So, at least this is a learning experience for them. They've made an example of themselves, and I doubt we'll be seeing anything like this again for a long while.
Unfortunately Capcom lacks the common sense to learn from their mistakes and listen to their customers.

As much as I love Capcom for Street Fighter, Okami, Final Fight, etc. as soon as they find an easy way to milk money from their followers, they'll do it. Restricting you from playing a downloadable game you purchased because you lack an online connection, charging $4 for a set of 4 character costumes (39 total), charging a $1 for a match against a cpu team, and now the save data restriction, the list just keeps growing.

Let's just hope as you said Ilu, that they wont repeat their selves.

Well, they boldly went, and failed miserably. But on the bright side, at least they won't be getting bad reviews for their horrible game, just for their horrible save feature haha

It's not like I ever replay games anyway so it wouldn't matter, I just think that Capcom is getting a bad image for this as seen by just a couple of the people on this thread with fan opinion. Well, it's not fully their fault. Save data isn't really a big fiasco to put into a game, so I'm guessing one or two people worked on it. People make mistakes but...

I'm glad that this is blowing up in Capcom's face.

Uncalled for. This is the kind of feedback that ruins companies even if it's one or two people's faults so I really hope they find a great way to come back and show their fanbase that they're better than that.

Nin 1 Cap 1

<3

It's not like I ever replay games anyway so it wouldn't matter, I just think that Capcom is getting a bad image for this as seen by just a couple of the people on this thread with fan opinion. Well, it's not fully their fault. Save data isn't really a big fiasco to put into a game, so I'm guessing one or two people worked on it. People make mistakes but...

I'm glad that this is blowing up in Capcom's face.

Uncalled for. This is the kind of feedback that ruins companies even if it's one or two people's faults so I really hope they find a great way to come back and show their fanbase that they're better than that.

Nin 1 Cap 1

<3
But if you apply the "cannot erase save data" concept to every single game, then it starts to get out of hand. Especially for the stories where you can only truly replay the game if you delete it again. Why would somebody want to limit somebody's experience of the game to just a one-off? People watch movies over and over because they're good, so why can't we just replay a darn tootin' game? There are some games out there that delete your save data once you finish, too. But if we apply the "no deletion rule", you're left with a useless game that you can't even play (though they'd probably do something else, but hey). Games like RPGs and whatnot would become BORING once you max levelled out your star team, and same with Super Mario Galaxy, once you've done it all, why keep on playing if you know you can't do more. Without the option to replay, the game goes down like that. And people don't just mark a game on "replyability" for nothing either, a good game is something that you want to have fond memories of and play all the time. Sure, you might not replay games, but I'm sure there's a lot of people out there, such as myself, that do replay games because they're fun.

To me, Capcom can do whatever they please, but if they screw up badly again, then it's not my fault. It will be crap to see a company that makes good games go down, but if they can't learn now that trying to prevent used games sales is stoopid, then they never will.

EDIT: Nin 1, Capcom 1, NintenDan CHEESE
I rest my lace- I mean, case. Me? Carry around lace? Who do you think I am, some form of girl that wears dresses... aha... ha... ha... *sprints off*

Last edited by a moderator:

Chicken, please. My dollars count for a lot more than my words. The fact of the matter is that this is a nasty gesture by Capcom.

Chicken, please. My dollars count for a lot more than my words. The fact of the matter is that this is a nasty gesture by Capcom.

Um what did you just call me?

Um what did you just call me?
Why I believe he called you a chicken... *shifty eyes*

Back