Well, this is a disturbing Mario magazine cover...

CM30

Gaming Latest Admin and Gaming Reinvented Owner
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
From some foreign gaming magazine. They apparently decided it'd be cool to feature Mario and Sonic preparing to commit suicide:

gallery_1_2_98354.jpg

Yeah... Not sure what Nintendo would think of this artwork, probably wouldn't be positive.

But damn, it looks kind of depressing. I mean, Mario's face really sells his suicidal emotional state, and Sonic holding a pistol to his head... yeah, kind of disturbing.

What do you think?

I think it looks disgusting as a magazine cover in general. Must have been easy to score a design job in the 90s.

I want to know what this magazine is about or what the article is about. They must be talking about some kind of video game decline or maybe because it's "Playstation" they're killing themselves because "the PS1 is better"

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know what this magazine is about or what the article is about. They must be talking about some kind of video game decline or maybe because it's "Playstation" they're killing themselves because "the PS1 is better"

Yep, it is about how the Sony console was defeating Nintendo in sales due to graphics and other features. The left side reads "Playstation 2000: The Killing? Everything you need to know" in French.

You may not realize it because you are so young, but the major selling point for Nintendo was always graphics. The first two generations of consoles made Nintendo the leader because their graphics were always superior. Sega tried to fight with the Genesis but failed - even attempting to create the 32X to do so. Nintendo jumped over them with the N64 and then here comes Sony with the Playstation and since then Nintendo has not been the leader because they no longer care about competing graphically. Sadly, however, that is a HUGE marketing mistake considering most gamers care about graphics and online play above all else - the two things Nintendo treads water on.

As for the art on the cover.. Mario and the noose are done well but sonic is very poorly drawn and the green background, though making the characters stand out, is very bland and uninspiring visually.

Yep, it is about how the Sony console was defeating Nintendo in sales due to graphics and other features. The left side reads "Playstation 2000: The Killing? Everything you need to know" in French.

You may not realize it because you are so young, but the major selling point for Nintendo was always graphics. The first two generations of consoles made Nintendo the leader because their graphics were always superior. Sega tried to fight with the Genesis but failed - even attempting to create the 32X to do so. Nintendo jumped over them with the N64 and then here comes Sony with the Playstation and since then Nintendo has not been the leader because they no longer care about competing graphically. Sadly, however, that is a HUGE marketing mistake considering most gamers care about graphics and online play above all else - the two things Nintendo treads water on.

As for the art on the cover.. Mario and the noose are done well but sonic is very poorly drawn and the green background, though making the characters stand out, is very bland and uninspiring visually.

Yay context clues.

Though, yeah. Lucky for Nintendo, I don't care much about graphics or online play. I just care about story and gameplay. Though if it had to happen to get Nintendo back on top, I'd be all for it, to an extent. I feel like their games would be primarily cel-shade and that would just turn me off from Nintendo all together because Nintendo first thought everyone hated it, then when they found out some people liked it, they brought it back.

Actually that sonic looks like the Sonic from The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. You know, the one where Sonic is voiced by the guys who does Steve Urkel and it's hilarious. Though the drawing is just a little worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eaw4IBhNE0

Actually that sonic looks like the Sonic from The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. You know, the one where Sonic is voiced by the guys who does Steve Urkel and it's hilarious. Though the drawing is just a little worse.

Trust me, I was a huge fan of that Sonic cartoon. It came on every morning before I went to school for like 4 years lol and yes, Jaleel White did his voice in that as well as Wreck-It Ralph and the Sonic fan movie (and if I am not mistaken several other Sonic things). however, that image on the cover is very dis-proportioned and crappily drawn for one of the easiest characters to draw. I especially love how that artist knows next to nothing about guns. I've never seen a gun with a double-edged hammer like that before - especially on a snub-nosed Colt Magnum (which has been my favorite gun since I was a child).

Well this cover is certainly the most terrifying thing I have seen for video game advertising.

Well this cover is certainly the most terrifying thing I have seen for video game advertising.

Really? How about any 90's Sega advertisement? XD?

segaviz1.jpg
sega-the-more-you-play-with-it-the-harder-it-gets.jpg
segaviz3.jpg

4.jpg

there are a lot more I can think of but they are pushing the line on PG-13 as well as I don't wish to slam this thread with an extremely long post. Some are very graphically morbid with brains and blood oozing out of skulls and crap.

And if you don't find that horrifying... I bid you to read the small print under the man peeing that is blatantly sexist "May separate the men from the boys (female players may find difficulties with the higher skill levels)".

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they're saner than those weird Germans:

mariovanhelsing.jpg

And it's definitely more normal than Mario vs North Korea:

Well, they're saner than those weird Germans:

mariovanhelsing.jpg

And it's definitely more normal than Mario vs North Korea:

Ha it's Solid Mario. xD Actually I thought about that when he hid in a block, but then as soon as he was spotted, it really was Metal Gear. I won't lie though, it looks like a pretty solid rom hack.

Back