What are the most common video file formats?

Isn't it mostly Mkv and Mp4?

Isn't it mostly Mkv and Mp4?

It depends on the usage, every format has its advantages.
For example for the web the most popular format is MP4, but if you use HTML5 you will probably use WebM.
If you record video then you will probably use AVCHD. MKV is great if you want to put the video, audio, subtitles and metadata in one file.
And so on...

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this article on most common video format.

MP4 is probably one of the most popular video formats.

AVI are good but very very large files, where MP4 is so much less space to store then AVI. MP4 is most used for YouTube.

I feel the file format like Mpeg2 which is used for most DVD video discs may still be very popular because a lot of people espiecally people with slow internet or cant afford Netflix and Hulu may still watch DVD disc movies.

I feel the file format like Mpeg2 which is used for most DVD video discs may still be very popular because a lot of people espiecally people with slow internet or cant afford Netflix and Hulu may still watch DVD disc movies.

MPEG4 is an improved version of MPEG2, so why to use an obsolete format?

MPEG4 is an improved version of MPEG2, so why to use an obsolete format?

I think there are some older DVD players, and devices which uses older operating systems which are compatible with MPEG2, but may not play MPEG4 files, so MPEG2 could be useful for sharing a video file with users with devices which can just play MPEG2 and older file formats.

I think there are some older DVD players, and devices which uses older operating systems which are compatible with MPEG2, but may not play MPEG4 files, so MPEG2 could be useful for sharing a video file with users with devices which can just play MPEG2 and older file formats.

MPEG2 was released in 1995 while MPEG4 was released in 1999, so I guess there shouldn't be many devices still using MPEG2...

MPEG2 was released in 1995 while MPEG4 was released in 1999, so I guess there shouldn't be many devices still using MPEG2...
Tbh MPEG2 is still used on DVD’s and television broadcasts, though when it comes to computers and file sharing, like Froggyboy is suggesting, your computer has to be running something like Windows 98 or older to not have support for MPEG4.

So unless you only consume media through TV and DVD’s, there’s not much of a point in using MPEG2.

I would say MP4 now.

I can't think of any other formats except .MOV,.FLV,.VOB

I feel WMV/Windows Movie video files may also be popular with Windows users who edit their home videos with Windows Movie Maker, Windows live movue maker, and other Windows video editors which can save video files as WMV files.

A lot of average Windows users who edit home videos may still be using wmv as the video file fornat to save video because they are used to saving their video files as wmv, and they know wmv will be compatible with most of the world's PCs which use most Windows operating systems and has Windows Media Player installed on the PC.

I think many third-party video players like VLC player can pkay wmv files.

Last edited:
I can think of the 4 that I used in the past that works well that is common :)

1. MP4
2. MOV
3. WMV
4. FLV

Back