What do you think of Microsoft Edge now basing Edge Web Browser on Chromium/Chrome web browser?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
Microsoft is rebuilding its Edge browser on Chrome and bringing it to the Mac A Chromium version of Edge will also arrive on Windows 7, 10 and Windows 8.

I think Microsoft is re-making Edge to use a Chromium based web browser because it is taking too long to fix all the problems people are having with Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge browsers. I bet, Microsoft no longer wants to spend their time and money on fixing problems with their web browsers, but they still want to bundle a web browser with Windows, so now Edge is based on Chromium.

Chromium also has more apps, web game apps, add-ons/extensions, themes, and plug-ins compared to Microsoft Edge where there are fewer third-party add-ons, themes, plug-ins, games, and apps which work on the current version of Edge.

Some users may more likely buy a Windows 10 computer if Edge is based on Chromium, so Microsoft won't lose as many buyers to Google Chromebooks, and Apple Mac computers which use Apple Safari which uses the WebKit web browser engine which was used on older versions of Chrome.

So Microsoft has given up?

So Microsoft has given up?

Microsoft has given up on the Internet Explorer web browser engine found in Microsoft Edge, and all versions of IE.

But, Microsoft will still have the Edge web browser which will soon uses the opensource Chromium Blink Web browser engine in 2019.

Well, that does make sense to be honest.

Chrome is the popular browser now and everyone likes it....well, most of the people anyway. It makes sense for edge to capture interest by imitating chrome a bit.

I think Microsoft switching to Chromium for Edge web browser engine will make MS Edge work better with newer websites which may not work well or are incompatible with Internet Explorer, and MS Edge which used the old IE web browser engine.

I'm guessing that Microsoft is now using Chromium in Edge to make their websites like Bing, Outlook, and Microsoft.com easier to upgrade and maintain since now Microsoft can just make sure their website works well in Chrome/Chromium and Firefox instead of making sure their site works well on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and MS Edge.

Microsoft has given up on the Internet Explorer web browser engine found in Microsoft Edge, and all versions of IE.

But, Microsoft will still have the Edge web browser which will soon uses the opensource Chromium Blink Web browser engine in 2019.

so they gave up on working on their own.

so they gave up on working on their own.

Yes, MS will give up on working on IE web browser program after Microsoft Edge switch to the Chromium web browser engine some time in 2019. But, MS Edge will still exist, but use the Chromium open source web browser engine some time in 2019.

I think Microsoft will still release security updates for IE 11 until it becomes discontinued in October 14 2025 according to End of Support for IE11 should be mentioned · Issue #1697 · SAP/openui5

Back