What games have made you sad/tear up?

Zoey

Full GL Member
Credits
Perhaps this is just because I am a female gamer but there are so many games that truly touch me and leave an impact on me. Whether it is with their ending or some events in the story progression - it doesn't matter. There's plenty of great games that have made me feel sad and even cry. I feel like a good quality game will always bring out some sort of emotions in you - sometimes it is happiness and other times it is sadness.

The games that have either made me sad or tear up/cry have been:
  • The Walking Dead series - I am talking about the part where a certain someone dies (no spoilers). I couldn't believe it and I felt so, so bad for the poor Clementine.
  • The Red Dead Redemption - at the end, when again, somebody dies... I was like god dammit, why. I was pretty speechless when it happened.
  • FF7 - when AGAIN somebody dies, I am sure everybody knows who so I'll just say it - when Aeris dies. This one made me cry. I was still so young when I first played it so maybe that's why.
  • Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater - during and after the final boss fight. You have to defeat your mentor that is a motherly figure to you. The feels.
  • and many, many more.

What games have made you sad or, even cry (you can admit it) and why?

Some games that made me sad while playing it:

Deus EX HR: Some part of the game where it was possible to save one person or another. There was a trick where you could save both but unless you know about it someone will die.

Tomb Raider: While playing the game if you don't do things at the right timing you will hear Lara screen like she in pain. It doesn't really affect me but seeing the visual makes me sad. Poor thing.

I'll edit this if I think of any more.

I think I was too young to appreciate Snake Eater. For me it was pretty dull, and I never appreciated the cutscenes and moments. Ori and the Blind Forest, a game which I got a few days ago, is really something. From the music, the story, the plot twists, the ending; it's all a masterpiece to the sight and sound, and you really feel like you're watching a story unfold instead of the usual "kill everything because the goal said so" storyline.

Don't say that it's just because you're a female gamer! I'm sure even the guys have felt pretty emotional at many points during certain games, they're just so moving at times.

While I agree that Aeris' death destroyed me when I was but a kid, I have to say that my saddest Final Fantasy moment for me came with FFX. That emotional scene at the end between Tidus and Yuna tugged at my heartstrings, it was just too bittersweet. I cried different kind of tears at the FFX-2 Perfect Ending, though.

We don't talk about The Walking Dead ending here, though.

Don't say that it's just because you're a female gamer! I'm sure even the guys have felt pretty emotional at many points during certain games, they're just so moving at times.

While I agree that Aeris' death destroyed me when I was but a kid, I have to say that my saddest Final Fantasy moment for me came with FFX. That emotional scene at the end between Tidus and Yuna tugged at my heartstrings, it was just too bittersweet. I cried different kind of tears at the FFX-2 Perfect Ending, though.

We don't talk about The Walking Dead ending here, though.
You know there's a theory about Aeris' death. You see, Sephiroth stabbed her in her back that pierced her stomach, so no vital organs were harmed that would cause immediate death. When she was put into the pool but she didn't float, meaning she was still alive - but couldn't move because her spinal cord was cut - so she died under the pool. That's right, YOU killed Aeris.

I can't think of anything that has made me tear up or sad. Not that I can remember anyway. I've had books or movies or a tv show that may have made me tear up but I can't think of any video games that has left me that way.

If I've gotten really attached to a game series like Persona, I've felt sad for beating it. But not angry unless I can't beat something.

There are some games that have made me tear up, but mostly for happy endings, haha.

I cant tell you which games without a reason so if youre worried about spoilers dont read the reasons.

But the two that come to mind most are

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Cuz at the end, the main character thinks the lead female character is dead and regrets not telling her his feelings towards her, but it turns out that she is alive and they have an emotional scene together

and Arc Rise Fantasia
Cuz at the end the main character has to sleep for 1,000 years and is sad that he has to say goodbye to his friends, and when he wakes up he watches a goodbye video they made for him but notices the female lead wasnt in the video, thinking that she didnt forgive him. But it turns out that she also went into a 1,000 year slumber so that she could be with him when he wakes up

But I really like that mushy love junk : p Not everyone likes it as much as I do, haha.

The Walking Dead S1 and The Last of Us are the only ones that really made me have any of those sorts of emotions. Both were handled perfectly in that way.

You know there's a theory about Aeris' death. You see, Sephiroth stabbed her in her back that pierced her stomach, so no vital organs were harmed that would cause immediate death. When she was put into the pool but she didn't float, meaning she was still alive - but couldn't move because her spinal cord was cut - so she died under the pool. That's right, YOU killed Aeris.
What? Oh my god... why did you have to tell me that :( it's only a theory but damn... I was still so young when I first played it through. Still, can't wait for the FF7 remake!
latest

Another game that I remembered is Life is Strange. If anybody played it through, they will remember so many decisions that you had to take and how heartbreaking certain episodes were... especially the one where Chloe is bound to the wheelchair. Oh, and that ending! I hated the both options that were presented. Took me 15 minutes to manage to decide :(

Mother 3 got my vision blurry at the very end. It's so masterfully played out I couldn't help myself, from the build up to the actual execution.
Bioshock's ending is also a tear-jerker, alongside Bioshock 2's (that reminded me that I should definitely buy Bioshock Infinite). It wasn't much of a sad ending, though, I guess it just warmed my heart. I think that also came from the huge tension release after their respective final sessions (they were insanely tense. I mean it, I could feel my muscles relaxing while finishing).

What? Oh my god... why did you have to tell me that :( it's only a theory but damn... I was still so young when I first played it through. Still, can't wait for the FF7 remake!
latest

Another game that I remembered is Life is Strange. If anybody played it through, they will remember so many decisions that you had to take and how heartbreaking certain episodes were... especially the one where Chloe is bound to the wheelchair. Oh, and that ending! I hated the both options that were presented. Took me 15 minutes to manage to decide :(
Didn't read the second half of your comment since I just finished the first episode and just downloaded the rest from Steam. First impression; it's mostly teen angst and all that, and I'm 25 so I can't really relate to girl problems and not fitting in high school. Still, time travel looks awesome, and the premise of trying to stop a disaster kept me hooked. How she can even stop a full blown hurricane from happening I gotta see.

I can't say that any game made me sad but the most emotional game I have ever seen is also The Walking Dead.

Back