What Use Does The Infrared Port Currently Have?

Tiger21820

Master of Fire & Ice!
Staff member
Administrator
Manager
Lottery Manager
Awards
Credits
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I have Never Used It Yet, But It may be used For VC Game Boy Color Games That Use It.[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Any Thoughts on the uses that The IR port may have are up for disscussion.[/font]

Isn't the infrared port already being used, i.e. for that peripheral device you need to play Monster Hunter something Tri something on the 3DS (it is an attachment that gives you a second analog stick). Refer to below image (ignore crap quality):

3ds_attachment.jpg

I'm almost certain that thing connects wirelessly, not via the infrared port.
Infrared is too low bandwidth. It cannot possibly carry sufficient information that you could connect an extra analogue control and two extra buttons via it. It could probably just about mange the two buttons on their own (and even then there would be a delay), but that's about it.

It sounds more like a throwback for nostalgia's sake, really.

I'm almost certain that thing connects wirelessly, not via the infrared port.
Infrared is too low bandwidth. It cannot possibly carry sufficient information that you could connect an extra analogue control and two extra buttons via it. It could probably just about mange the two buttons on their own (and even then there would be a delay), but that's about it.

Well I got this quote from Arpegius in this topic, so that's where I got my thought from:

Arpegius said:
Don't forget about the additional Z buttons the Slidepad adds and the fact that it communicates with the 3DS via infrared. The board inside of the Slidepad will need a power source to run off it.

http://nintendo3dsco...h__1#entry37780

I have Googled around and can't find anything, just bloody rumours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back