Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Awards
Credits
Steal Penalty
You're Rich Money Bags Award
Profile Music
Anyone who posts in this board should be an anime fan and should know that outside of Japan anime isn't as big as it is inside of Japan.

If you had the money and resources to do so, how would you make anime appeal to a wider audience to make more people anime fans?

From what I know, there's only one thing that anime need to be more popular outside of Japan. Its to span over several seasons (a minimum of 2 seasons). Ask people that aren't anime fans if they's ever watched any, and most will reply that they watched stuff like DBZ, One Piece, Fullmetal Alchemist or Bleach. The one thing that these have in common (other than the fact that they are good), is that they are longer than most anime series (that usually range between 12-26 episodes).

I'm not saying that the international audience prefers longer anime series. Just that TV channels tend to create more of a craze around longer anime series, which makes sense since these will hold the attention of the audience for a longer time.

And just a random fact, but one thing that non-anime fans often complain about is the fact that anime characters often scream the name of their attacks. I personally have no issue with this when watching subbed anime, but it does sound awfully awkward when dubbed.

There is a lot of good dubbed call out attacks.

Anyways, I would try and get more anime movies into all USA theaters and have a lot of ads advertising online anime sites and popular series that would draw in the most people. I'm hoping the USA version of Death Note will achieve this somewhat as it's a movie that Hollywood can pull off and still be good like the source material.

I think just localizing more anime would probably help. Making lesser known series more available (and more affordable since anime can be expensive). Have more options like English dubs if people want or just good quality subtitles.

And maybe get more anime on TV would also help. Since right now there's only a few channels which even play anime (and even then it's only at select times). So it's hard to really get into something when you have only a few options at specific times. So people may pass on the whole genre because they don't know what else is out there waiting for them and they have no idea where to start.

Get a wider array of genres dubbed and airng in America. Think of the dubbed and aired anime over here, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist... it's all battle anime!

I think if we started dubbing and airing some things of other genres (Toradora! would be a great choice, or some things like Servant x Service or even something like Myself ; Yourself) it would get more popular because

A) It would appeal to a wider audience
and
B) It would break some peoples thoughts that anime is only for kids/battle anime

VirusZero said:
I think just localizing more anime would probably help. Making lesser known series more available (and more affordable since anime can be expensive). Have more options like English dubs if people want or just good quality subtitles.

And maybe get more anime on TV would also help. Since right now there's only a few channels which even play anime (and even then it's only at select times). So it's hard to really get into something when you have only a few options at specific times. So people may pass on the whole genre because they don't know what else is out there waiting for them and they have no idea where to start.

As far as I know, only CN and nicktoons airs anime and maybe the hub channel. I don't see big networks like CBS and fox picking up anime which is why it needs to be brought out in theaters where people are more likely to watch it.

FantasyFanMan said:
Get a wider array of genres dubbed and airng in America. Think of the dubbed and aired anime over here, Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, Full Metal Alchemist... it's all battle anime!

I think if we started dubbing and airing some things of other genres (Toradora! would be a great choice, or some things like Servant x Service or even something like Myself ; Yourself) it would get more popular because

A) It would appeal to a wider audience
and
B) It would break some peoples thoughts that anime is only for kids/battle anime
it costs a lot to dub anime, and sadly it seems all that funi and other companies dub these days is battle and echi anime. Cartoon network doesn't seem to pick up much kid anime these days.

Demon_Skeith said:
As far as I know, only CN and nicktoons airs anime and maybe the hub channel. I don't see big networks like CBS and fox picking up anime which is why it needs to be brought out in theaters where people are more likely to watch it.
it costs a lot to dub anime, and sadly it seems all that funi and other companies dub these days is battle and echi anime. Cartoon network doesn't seem to pick up much kid anime these days.

Demon_Skeith said:
If you had the money and resources to do so.
Just buy the big networks and decide on what they air :p

If I had millions of dollars to spend, I would buy all the toonami rights, buy my own channel space that would air on all basic tv channels along with online streaming service on all platforms and make the whole channel dedicated to uncut anime with toonami as the mascot. 

You know, why don't they ever try airing a subbed amime over here. Get FUNimatiom a TV spot and let tyem air some oficially subbed stuff to ease it in then we could really start airing it over here because it wouldn't need to be dubbed anymore.

Fantasy said:
You know, why don't they ever try airing a subbed amime over here. Get FUNimatiom a TV spot and let tyem air some oficially subbed stuff to ease it in then we could really start airing it over here because it wouldn't need to be dubbed anymore.
Well they do have a online channel for that and besides that you can get all the subbed episodes online for free if you know where to look.

Back when the states had a Asian/American channel they did air a lot of subbed anime but the channel is no longer aired :(

Probably nothing.
I would ask others to watch anime, but if they are not interested, then that's it.
I wouldn't waste my time.

Back