What's the best cheap pre-built laptops for installing Linux?

froggyboy604

Staff member
Manager
Full GL Member
Awards
Credits
Mature Board Viewing
Unlock full profile styling
I think some Chromebooks like the Acer C720 are usually the best cheap pre-built $200 and cheaper laptops to install Linux based operating systems like Ubuntu on. Chromebooks Firmware are not locked like many newer Windows devices which uses UEFI Secure-boot which sometimes prevents non-Windows 8.1/10 install discs and flash drives from booting up the computer to install an alternative OS like Linux.

Plus, Chrome OS is based on Linux, so most Linux OS like Ubuntu would most likely be compatible with the hardware on a Chromebook because they are both based on Linux.

I think any cheap pre-built laptops would work with a low end linux OS.

I think any cheap pre-built laptops would work with a low end linux OS.

This is not always true. I read on an article that some hardware like Nvidia graphics chips and software hardware drivers don't work well on Linux. It is probably best to see if all your hardware on your PC is compatible with Linux before you install it.

This is not always true. I read on an article that some hardware like Nvidia graphics chips and software hardware drivers don't work well on Linux. It is probably best to see if all your hardware on your PC is compatible with Linux before you install it.

well it mainly depends on what flavor of linux you use. Pretty sure there is a linux for anything.

Back